Losing weight with no or minimum exercise

Options
So I have pulled a muscle in my back, can't walk or lift. I'm worried I will not lose or worse gain! :/

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    The good thing about MFP is that no exercise is required to lose!
  • CupcakeQueen86
    CupcakeQueen86 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I just feel as if I need to run to lose, I've set myself at sedentary
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    You'll have to eat less! Make smart food choices to get lots of nutrients for better recovery... Hope it gets better soon

Are you seeing a physio and/or chiro? Mine doesn't recommend stopping training completely and works with me to create a plan I can do.

I've run for cardio maybe twice in my life. Still lost enough fat to be stupidly lean for bodybuilding comps...
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can do it.

You may need to adjust your setup in MFP to reflect your new activity level if this is going to be a long term injury.

If it's short term, and you're not too close to 1200, you might stay a 100 calories or so away from your limit to be safe.

Hope you feel better soon.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I've never run in my life and I've lost 60 pounds. Log everything accurately, including using a food scale if need be, and you'll be able to do it. community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Ozzzzzzzzzz
    Ozzzzzzzzzz Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have pulled back muscles a number of times over the years.

The worst thing you can do is sit still and for me riding a stationary bike (slow&easy) always helped with recovery.
  • CupcakeQueen86
    Options
    You'll have to eat less! Make smart food choices to get lots of nutrients for better recovery... Hope it gets better soon

Are you seeing a physio and/or chiro? Mine doesn't recommend stopping training completely and works with me to create a plan I can do.

I ate less today didn't feel so good, I went to see my doctor who said to rest showed me a few exercises hopefully they will help. By plan you mean exercise plan or food?
  • CupcakeQueen86
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Yes, you can do it.

You may need to adjust your setup in MFP to reflect your new activity level if this is going to be a long term injury.

If it's short term, and you're not too close to 1200, you might stay a 100 calories or so away from your limit to be safe.

Hope you feel better soon.

Thankyou
    and I eat 1400 calories im 5'7,
  • CupcakeQueen86
    Options
    quote="Ozzzzzzzzzz;32878553"]I have pulled back muscles a number of times over the years.

The worst thing you can do is sit still and for me riding a stationary bike (slow&easy) always helped with recovery.[/quote]

I don't go to the gym, I have a treadmill and weights at home,
    I had a bike sold it, should have kept it
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

I ate less today didn't feel so good, I went to see my doctor who said to rest showed me a few exercises hopefully they will help. By plan you mean exercise plan or food?

Dr's will tell you to rest, and probably give you drugs. Neither really help to fix the problem. A physio can treat the problem and help you work around it... With an exercise plan. I've had plenty of injuries over the years but never stopped training, I've just changed how I trained.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    yup sounds like you are on the right track already, adjusting your calories while you recover

seems good
  • CupcakeQueen86
    Options

Dr's will tell you to rest, and probably give you drugs. Neither really help to fix the problem. A physio can treat the problem and help you work around it... With an exercise plan. I've had plenty of injuries over the years but never stopped training, I've just changed how I trained.

That's true, I will try and see a physio this week. Thanks
  • CupcakeQueen86
    Options
    yup sounds like you are on the right track already, adjusting your calories while you recover

seems good

:) I hope I am,
  • CupcakeQueen86
    Options
    whilst I can, what should my carb intake be? :p
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I rarely exercise because I can never build a consistent routine due to being sick on and off. I have lost almost 35 lbs since February.
  • CupcakeQueen86
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    I've nevry life and I've lost 60 pounds. Log everything accurately, including using a food scale if need be, and you'll be able to do it. community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Thank you that really helped, wow thats amazing you lost loads congrats! do you exercise much?
  • CupcakeQueen86
    Options
    I rarely exercise because I can never build a consistent routine due to being sick on and off. I have lost almost 35 lbs since February.

Wow 35lbs is a lot, congrats! you must be very strict with your diet.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options

Wow 35lbs is a lot, congrats! you must be very strict with your diet.

Not really! I stay in my cals 6 days a week and have a cheat day(with rules) every Saturday. The last 2 weeks has been pretty lax because I have been trying to fix my appetite from a medicine I am taking and then I was in the hospital for a few days. I still eat ice cream sandwiches, bread, pasta and potatoes. Also lots of cheese!
  • swift13b
    swift13b Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I lost around 50 pounds with minimal exercise, maybe a walk once or twice a week. I've only started exercising more now that I'm in maintenance, to help lose the extra fat that wants to hang around on my stomach.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Don't worry. Weight loss is cooked in the kitchen. I lost my first thirty pounds with minimal exercise. There's good evidence as well that walking helps reduce back pain.

http://www.bhg.com/health-family/conditions/pain-relief/why-walking-is-good-for-back-pain/