Whole30??

Options
Good morning all! Is anyone out there following the Whole30 program? If so what have your results been? Thanks in advance for the input!!

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    not sure what whole 30 so looked up and here is what I found:
    The Whole30 Program Rules
    Yes: Eat real food.

Eat meat, seafood, eggs, tons of vegetables, some fruit, and plenty of good fats from fruits, oils, nuts and seeds. Eat foods with very few ingredients, all pronounceable ingredients, or better yet, no ingredients listed at all because they’re totally natural and unprocessed. Don’t worry… these guidelines are outlined in extensive detail in our free shopping list.

No: Avoid for 30 days.

More importantly, here’s what NOT to eat during the duration of your Whole30 program. Omitting all of these foods and beverages will help you regain your healthy metabolism, reduce systemic inflammation, and help you discover how these foods are truly impacting your health, fitness and quality of life.

Do not consume added sugar of any kind, real or artificial. No maple syrup, honey, agave nectar, coconut sugar, Splenda, Equal, Nutrasweet, xylitol, stevia, etc. Read your labels, because companies sneak sugar into products in ways you might not recognize.
    Do not consume alcohol in any form, not even for cooking. (And it should go without saying, but no tobacco products of any sort, either.)
    Do not eat grains. This includes (but is not limited to) wheat, rye, barley, oats, corn, rice, millet, bulgur, sorghum, amaranth, buckwheat, sprouted grains and all of those gluten-free pseudo-grains like quinoa. This also includes all the ways we add wheat, corn and rice into our foods in the form of bran, germ, starch and so on. Again, read your labels.
    Do not eat legumes. This includes beans of all kinds (black, red, pinto, navy, white, kidney, lima, fava, etc.), peas, chickpeas, lentils, and peanuts. No peanut butter, either. This also includes all forms of soy – soy sauce, miso, tofu, tempeh, edamame, and all the ways we sneak soy into foods (like lecithin).
    Do not eat dairy. This includes cow, goat or sheep’s milk products such as cream, cheese (hard or soft), kefir, yogurt (even Greek), and sour cream… with the exception of clarified butter or ghee. (See below for details.)
    Do not consume carrageenan, MSG or sulfites. If these ingredients appear in any form on the label of your processed food or beverage, it’s out for the Whole30.
    Do not try to re-create baked goods, junk foods, or treats* with “approved” ingredients. Continuing to eat your old, unhealthy foods made with Whole30 ingredients is totally missing the point, and will tank your results faster than you can say “Paleo Pop-Tarts.” Remember, these are the same foods that got you into health-trouble in the first place—and a pancake is still a pancake, regardless of the ingredients.
    One last and final rule: You are not allowed to step on the scale or take any body measurements for the duration of the program. This is about so much more than just weight loss, and to focus on your body composition means you’ll miss out on the most dramatic and lifelong benefits this plan has to offer. So, no weighing yourself, analyzing body fat or taking comparative measurements during your Whole30. (We do encourage you to weigh yourself before and after, however, so you can see one of the more tangible results of your efforts when your program is over.)

- See more at: http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/#sthash.BZmHpSYT.dpuf

This is way too many rules for me. OP if you want to restrict a bunch of foods because you think they are bad then knock yourself out; however, I think you are setting yourself up for a bad relationship with food. No food is good or bad, it is just food that give s you nutrients and energy.

i would suggest the following:

enter your stats into MFP for one pound a week loss
    eat to that number
    get a food scale and weight all solids
    eat the foods that you like and want to eat, but make sure that you are eating nutrient dense foods. Things like cookies, ice cream, etc, are OK in moderation. what matters is that your overall diet is hitting calorie/micro/macro targets
    make sure that you log everything you eat.
    find a form of exercise you like and do it
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna have to agree with ndj1979 here. And the ironic thing is I'm a whole foods kind of eater. I could probably follow that diet to a T with no problem. But I eat whole foods not because I think other foods are bad. I'm just personally tired of all the packaged and processed foods. I've always kind of kept my foods simple that's just how I eat. But going out of your way to eliminate so many food options if that's not who you are is setting yourself up for failure. You need to stop thinking of this as a short term diet but as a way you foresee yourself eating for the long term. If you're looking to just lose a few pounds in a quick diet then something totally different can be fun but if this is a long term thing the diet needs to reflect who you are.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    It's crazy woo-woo magic thinking crap.
  • TakingBackForever
    TakingBackForever Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Well...I have done 2 now. My first one was great, it was in June and I lost 20 pounds, was sleeping really well, had lots of energy and my cravings for junk were gone. My second one was in January, it was miserable. Not as many fruits or vegetables. I lost 6 pounds that time. I won't be doing anymore. But I learned about myself a lot and enjoyed the first one.

I also learned that I have an issue with milk, but not dairy. So I stay away from cups of milk now. Everything else was fine.
  • lrhodes202
    lrhodes202 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second whole 30.. I do weigh myself and I don't eat more than 1200 calories so it's not so strict to the rules of the program of not weighing or counting calories.. I have lost 20 pounds and hardly ever have cravings and struggle to eat all 1200 calories.. Feel free to add or message me if you need any help
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    dbtqn08n5qa6.gif
    It's crazy woo-woo magic thinking crap.

• Subzeromambo
    Subzeromambo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am trying not to be very angry at people who call something crap without any research. I was in pain and had intestinal bleeding for 27 years. The whole 30 is basically an elimination diet that helps you figure out what is healthiest for you as an individual to eat. After the 30 days you reintroduce foods on a schedule that helps you to safely fine tune your diet. I tried the FODMAP elimination diet but it was worthless. The Whole 30 is priceless for those of us with autoimmune disorders. I eat a modified autoimmune protocol Paleo diet. I do not have any bleeding or pain as long as I stay strictly on the diet.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    No, actually, Whole30 is not an elimination diet. It's a fad restriction diet. And it restricts foods based on trendiness and projected "morality" of them, not on any likelihood to cause IBS or other difficulties.

I try not to be very angry at people who profit off others' vulnerability and fail. But I'm just resigned about people who get suckered into it.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    No, actually, Whole30 is not an elimination diet. It's a fad restriction diet. And it restricts foods based on trendiness and projected "morality" of them, not on any likelihood to cause IBS or other difficulties.

I try not to be very angry at people who profit off others' vulnerability and fail. But I'm just resigned about people who get suckered into it.

Yep, I looked into it a while back and this is my conclusion of it as well.