How do you calculate your % of body fat?

Options
Does anyone have any formulas, tools, references for an affordable way to calculate % of body fat?

Background I am approximately 1 year of maintenance. 5'4" 130lbs, 33 yrs old, medium build. I lost total of 80lbs. I am in the process of setting new fitness goals and I want to really understand my body but I am on a tight budget.

I appreciate any tools and/or advice you can offer.

Replies

• ScreeField
    ScreeField Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    It's pretty difficult to calculate without any sort of physical test. If you have a gym membership, they often test for free--if you are thinking about joining a gym, you might ask for a tour and a trial with a trainer who may test you without charge. But, these tests aren't totally accurate. And, they won't be super reliable if you test again later using a different method.

There are some calculators online. You could try them all and then find the average.

You could also look into body fat scales. They aren't terribly accurate either and their accuracy could decrease with price. But can give you an idea and may be more consistent over time. There may be websites that have tested and reviewed scales for accuracy.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I have a scale that I think is near rubbish

Pinch tests work ok but loose skin from weight loss skew results. You lost 80 lbs. that is awesome! Not sure how your skin elasticity absorbed that.

I kind of don't worry now. I can pinch a little here and there and work my calorie deficit and eat right for me

Definition in my muscles seems to be the best indicator.

3 months ago I had decent sized delts. Now I can see a few veins where the delts insert into the pectoral area. That is some fat loss. But the scale for body fat percentage and muscle weight can vary 5 lbs a day.

Cloth measuring tape, one consistent scale, and a mirror.

• ZBuffBod
    ZBuffBod Posts: 297 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Check out this website: http://fat2fitradio.com/tools/mbf/

By the way...congratulations on your weight loss and being in maintenance for one year! Awesome accomplishment.
  • lesliezimmer
    lesliezimmer Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    ZBuffBod wrote: »

By the way...congratulations on your weight loss and being in maintenance for one year! Awesome accomplishment.

That tool is super off. I had a hydrostatic bodyfat test which put me at 30.5% bodyfat. That tool up there put me at 37%... HUGE difference!

I had to save up enough money to do the hydrostatic test because I couldn't for the life of me figure out a way to get it accurately otherwise. Once I get to my goal weight, I'm going to have the test done again to note my loss & start building muscle.

Congratulations on your weight loss!
  • Toadstool_
    Toadstool_ Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I know they're not a terribly popular option, but I really like my scales. OK the readings may well not be accurate, but its consistent and gives me a similar reading to my old scales. I find it good for tracking changes. The online calculators I found useless - depending on which one you use there's a massive difference - a couple even gave me negative readings, not sure how that works! I've never tried the callipers or the fancy machine things.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    The scales normally lie about measuring anything except running your weight through a calculator. :) They have one setting for athlete and one for non-athlete. You can check out the number of people who have done various things to test them only to discover that they lie.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    I haven't done hydrostatic testing, but I "look" between 25-30%, and that site puts me just above 30%. So I think it probably runs high.
  • Cupcaker35
    Cupcaker35 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    ZBuffBod wrote: »

@ZBuffBod thanks for the compliment and the tool. Based upon the website my %of BF is 25.2.
    I used a digital caliper and my %BF was 21%.
  • Eddygogo
    Eddygogo Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    calipers, measurements, scales and hand held body fat tests for a general idea.

If you want high accuracy you'll need Dexa-scans, BodPod, hydrostatic weighing etc...
  • palmettoadventurer
    palmettoadventurer Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I usually do the Army tape measure method, because it's easy and familiar to me, but it's probably not especially accurate. I'm waiting to hear back about scheduling a Bod Pod appointment.

The main thing is consistency in whatever method you choose, so at least you can keep track of trends.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I keep a spreadsheet with all of the formulas from this article. Once a month I take all of the pertinent measurements, pop them in, and let them calculate. I also record the bf% number from my scale at home.

http://strengthunbound.com/measure-body-fat-easily-accurately-home/
  • beenz75
    beenz75 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The website calculated me exactly what I thought I was by estimating from the picture chart so believe it is as accurate as any other free method available. My digital scales calculate me as 4% less than what I really believe I am.