get motivated

Options
Needs , wants and has to get fit and drop weight . But can't get going any tips ,

Replies

• litoria
    litoria Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    A brief story: I was walking through a mall with some time to kill before an appointment with a client. I stopped at the stall beside some folks who were doing some community education and research about undiagnosed type 2 diabetes. I chatted to them - the diabetes researcher was very skilled, pragmatic, nonjudgemental and knowledgeable. After 15 minutes of structured conversation I learnt that I had all but one of the precursors to developing type 2 diabetes (the only one I didn't have was my age, I'm only 39). He said he was willing to wager large sums of money on me developing diabetes if I didn't change the path I was on. My dad has diabetes, which was untreated for about 10 years. He has permanently lost vision, poor circulation in his feet and hands and now lives a life of disability because of this....
    If THIS isn't motivation, I don't know what is.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Needs , wants and has to get fit and drop weight . But can't get going any tips ,

Put more care, thought and effort into your MFP food logging than you did with that post. Good luck!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Understand why you want to lose weight, understand what it involves and requires of you to do. Decide whether you are prepared to follow those patterns of behaviour. Just do it. You are either motivated enough and willing to commit or you are not. Take baby steps anddo small things towards your goal, building on that and doing a little more each day.

Take responsibility, avoid being lazy and do some reasearch.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Your choice

get going and lose weight and have the body you want

do nothing and stay as you are / put on further weight

that's it!

you don't need tips .. you just need to get your *kitten* into gear and start eating fewer calories than you burn
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    If you'd like to post your reasons (read excuses) for why you haven't started, feel free

We can shoot them down one by one for you

Because we've all made them, some of spent decades making them - we have the experience

;)
  • bakehouse74
    bakehouse74 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

Put more care, thought and effort into your MFP food logging than you did with that post. Good luck!

• bakehouse74
    Options
    Thank you , I can only blame myself and lifestyle, fitness came so easy to me before hand. 7st7lbs most of my teen / adult life. Trained workout for pleasure and competitions in athletics. I had twins at age 30 . And felt wonderful. Dropped what little baby weight I had put on. Working full-time then went on to have two more wonderful children. And a step son. I now have 4 children under 10 . Working with adults with special needs and run the family business from a home office in the gas industry. I split my time as mummy, work, office, and home and I know deep down you can find the time .but it's hard to see what you came from to what you are now. I know I have the tools and knowledge but lack motivation . Thank you for your comments and taking time out to help
  • Sued0nim
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @bakehouse74 You can do it you know :bigsmile:

Pre planning at the weekend...batch cooking and simply weighing and logging everything you eat

It's a good place to start

And if you can commit to the time to work on your food intake and choices for a month or two it gets easier because you get go to meals and foods that you just know you'll enjoy and will fill you up

You don't need to find hours to exercise ...walk a bit more, take the kids to the park and kick a ball around ...have picnics ...

Weight loss is down to the food you eat

Exercising makes you feel awesome and look great (eventually)

You can do exercises at home if you want, get the kids to join in ...youtube or DVDs ...I'd go for http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

Good luck

(I'm 48, my youngest just turned 11 and I've finally lost my baby weight ;) )
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Do you have an activity tracker?

I got one about 5-6 months ago and have lost 25 lbs. so far. I set it to lose a pound a week and it has been working great.

you just set your goals, track your food, and it does all the math for you. mine even vibrates when i have not been active for a certain length of time to remind me to get up and move.
  • bakehouse74
    Options
    First day of tracker feeling determined
  • cenandra
    cenandra Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    litoria wrote: »
    A brief story: I was walking through a mall with some time to kill before an appointment with a client. I stopped at the stall beside some folks who were doing some community education and research about undiagnosed type 2 diabetes. I chatted to them - the diabetes researcher was very skilled, pragmatic, nonjudgemental and knowledgeable. After 15 minutes of structured conversation I learnt that I had all but one of the precursors to developing type 2 diabetes (the only one I didn't have was my age, I'm only 39). He said he was willing to wager large sums of money on me developing diabetes if I didn't change the path I was on. My dad has diabetes, which was untreated for about 10 years. He has permanently lost vision, poor circulation in his feet and hands and now lives a life of disability because of this....
    If THIS isn't motivation, I don't know what is.

@litoria Take care of it now before it happens! I didn't know I had Type 1 Diabetes typically it happens in children, but this day in age they call it Adult Onset Type 1 Diabetes. I found out I got it in 2001, but by then it was to late Neuropathy already set in my feet and digestive tract (Autonomic Neuropathy). I was in a wheelchair for sometime until I finally made the decision to lost my weight. I lost my 50+ pounds in 2008 and have kept most of it off since it hasn't been easy still struggle, but my controlled diabetes has improved my neuropathy and I have kept the Retinopathy away. My greatest fear is losing my vision and I am fighting to keep it! Best of luck to you!