Trying to lose weight with fibromyalgia

Options
Andrea65mm
Andrea65mm Posts: 2 Member
is there anyone out there who is struggling with weight and fibromyalgia? Do you have any tips or advice?

Replies

• angelahanoski
    angelahanoski Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I don't have fibromyagia but I do have lupus and face similar problems. I noticed a couple of things that work for me and help manage the pain. For exercise I go to a water running or water aerobics class. It is s great workout and I have seen significant difference in my size, muscle composition and it helps to releave pain. I would also suggest that along with tracking your food, you keep tabs on how it makes you feel-does it trigger pain? Then you know what to avoid. Meditation also helps me too stay upbeat, positive and focused. Celebrate your little successes, they will motivate you and spur on your successes. Focus on smaller goals as they add up. I wish you all the best☺
  • angelahanoski
    angelahanoski Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    One more thing and it took me a bit to figure this out. Don't let your disease define you. You define yourself. Once I figured this out, I found that it had less hold on me.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    it took me awhile to realize the pain wasn't going to kill me. and I kept moving. that was essential. any movement. I would recommend a restorative yoga practice, either at a local studio or online videos. yoga saved me.

small goals are a great way to keep your motivation. I have a goal of getting down to about 135, but that's so far away. so I get excited when I go down 5lbs. or when I run a little further. or when I say yes to the fruit and no to the cake.

there are going to be bad days and that's part of the disease. and it's fine to have those days. the other days just keep moving.

I also do a warm shower after I exercise or bath with Epsom salts or eucalyptus or lavender. I find it helps minimize the stiffness and pain that would typically follow
  • Andrea65mm
    Andrea65mm Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice. I've been told yoga and meditation help. I think I'll look on u tube as money is a little tight. Also, I find if I work out I get what's called an exertion headache. My head feels like it will explode and it lasts for 24 to 48 hours. Thanks again.
  • jrbb03092
    jrbb03092 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    If you get headaches from working out, then do what you can. Several 10 min walks shouldn't hurt your head and some light stretches or gentle yoga should be okay. You may find you can do more as time progresses.
  • mcvictoria72
    mcvictoria72 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Epsom salt baths, sugar free diet and dry brushing seem to help me. Constant stretching helps too. I carry a resistance band with me a stretch my legs when ever they hurt. Exercise seems to make my "foggy days" worse so I am trying to do yoga and meditation... But I really suck at sticking with it :( keep me posted about your journey!
  • stargirl85
    stargirl85 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    No but I have severe M.E which is somewhat similar although seems to be at another level to you. I dont know if you get food in tolerances in fibro? Like the above poster, I do sstretching though. I occasionally do meditation. I'm new tothis and relatively new to coping with weight gain though. These conditions can be so hard but yeah it is about focusing on what you CAN do if possible. Ive learned many different methods of meditation as well even though I dont do it near enough.

Generally I've found from talking to others that it does seem to be a case of different things help different people. What can help someone can make someone else with it worse.

If you want to look in to coping mechanisms that Ive not seen elsewhere but its a really interesting book and some bits really ring true - Toni Bernhards 'How to be sick' (from a buddhist perspective but you can be atheist or any religion I think to do any of it...ways of thinking of things. ..even stroking your arm to soother yourself...little things. Plus its well laid out, not loooomg chapters of writing.
  • sealensfit
    sealensfit Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've got ME, not Fibro, but it comes with a lot of similar symptoms. I find the muscle pain not as bothersome if I'm sore for a reason (ie. sore from weightlifting) rather than just sore from being alive! For some reason it's easier to cope with if I know there is a reason I'm sore, not just because my body wants to be in pain. I think the only thing I struggle with is fatigue, as certain things exhaust me more than other (cardio and leg day vs. back/shoulder day). Just be sure not to over-do it and listen to your body. If your back is too sore one day, try working on legs or cardio. If your hips/knees are bugging you, then maybe do an upper body exercise day. Swimming is usually pretty good, as the water supports you and it's quite low impact even though it is a lot of work.

Just remember to listen to what your body is saying, and enjoy your life! You don't want to make yourself miserable just to lose a few pounds, but if it is really important to you, just focus on the end game. Strengthening those muscles that cause issues has helped me significantly. Not going to lie, at the beginning it really sucked - I was super sore all the time as I'm working muscles that are already tight and full of knots. I would get a massage every couple of week (until I used up my extended medical) and just be sure to not let the muscles get too tight. After I started gaining some strength, the muscles stopped hurting as much. Stretching is a lifesaver though - make sure you stretch as much as possible, whether you feel you need it or not! Also, try foam rolling - it's like a little mini massage!

Good luck :smile:
  • Laurke86
    Laurke86 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I also have fybro but for me exercise is key! Before I started Working out I was in a lot more pain and since i've started to eat healthy and workout I feel so much better! When I don't workout for 1day I allready feel the difference so mostly I exercise early in the morning and again in the afternoon or early evening and this works great for me! I also try to get at least 7hours of sleep, have banned sugars and alcohol and I really feel better this way!
  • extacymoon
    extacymoon Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I also have fibro and find that the more I move the better I feel most days. I am constantly stretching throughout the day when things start to hurt. I have also cleaned up my diet, making healthier choices. Choosing fruit and veggies over sweets. Sometimes it feels like I am in this alone and no one understands what I go through on a day to day basis. I am working past that and like someone said above, I try not to let it define me.