Someone review my weekly gym routine!

Options
2»

Replies

• MFD7576
    MFD7576 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I know now what needs to be done... Ill buy a sleeping bag and replace the bed with a squat rack.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I know now what needs to be done... Ill buy a sleeping bag and replace the bed with a squat rack.

now that's dedication!
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

I'm not sleeping on the floor- you better rethink that plan
  • MFD7576
    Options
    Well, We could buy two squat racks (more gains) and put a hammock up between the two of them at night
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    What they all said about muscle adaption as opposed to gaining muscle and the suggested programs.

Personally i'd balance that off with cardio, but its up to you. Try and find some that you enjoy if gym cardio isnt your thing.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »

I'm not sleeping on the floor- you better rethink that plan

Sleep on the bench
  • TheMetalMan0
    TheMetalMan0 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Isn't PPL usually run 6 days a week? Train each body part twice a week? You might be better on a full body 3 times a week - SS or ICF?
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Isn't PPL usually run 6 days a week? Train each body part twice a week? You might be better on a full body 3 times a week - SS or ICF?

The bb.com thread actually suggests Starting Strength or similar routine as a jumping off point for a novice. OP of the thread says it's more of an intermediate routine.

That being said, the routine itself is fine... but you'll more than likely make more rapid progress with something like Starting Strength, Stronglifts, etc.
  • MFD7576
    edited June 2015
    Options

The bb.com thread actually suggests Starting Strength or similar routine as a jumping off point for a novice. OP of the thread says it's more of an intermediate routine.

That being said, the routine itself is fine... but you'll more than likely make more rapid progress with something like Starting Strength, Stronglifts, etc.

Thank you for the names of programs and what not. Im clueless of the names of all of these programs lol

Ive made a decision too. Im going to do the couch to 5k program and then so do some side lifting while I wait for my girlfriend to finish up at the gym. Then maybe do a 1 day full body thing. Kinda tailor it to what I need to do in the now and that's lose weight so I can gain muscle.

Couch to 5k will help me shed the pounds, and the side lifting will quench my thirst for upper body lifting. :) No leg day.
  • blue736
    blue736 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

now that's dedication!

Dedication... Say that In a few months.. Dedication is training 6 times a week good diet an years of hard lifting mate. Also u can't train at home u need a gym to motivate your self an push u to the next level..you been training only a month.. I seen it to many times new lifters training few week months an bang they stopped an gain more weight then before.. Drill it in yr brain an make the change. Am not being harsh. But it's the truth. Only u can help yr self. Yr training schedule looks good keep it up.dont know y u asking for advise when u haven't even tried your routine out for. 3/4 months so how u know wat gains u will have. Take years my friend..
  • MFD7576
    Options
    blue736 wrote: »

now that's dedication!

Dedication... Say that In a few months.. Dedication is training 6 times a week good diet an years of hard lifting mate. Also u can't train at home u need a gym to motivate your self an push u to the next level..you been training only a month.. I seen it to many times new lifters training few week months an bang they stopped an gain more weight then before.. Drill it in yr brain an make the change. Am not being harsh. But it's the truth. Only u can help yr self. Yr training schedule looks good keep it up.dont know y u asking for advise when u haven't even tried your routine out for. 3/4 months so how u know wat gains u will have. Take years my friend..

I think some of what he meant got a little lost there. The idea was a sarcastic and unrealistic idea of replacing your bedroom with a home gym lol I was being sarcastic by suggesting I would replace my queen sized bed with a squat rack and he was just going off of that :)

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

now that's dedication!

You can in fact train at home.
    One does not need a gym to "motivate yourself"
    I lift at home and push myself there.

It'd be easier to take you seriously if you actually spelled out these words. It was a struggle to read your post.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

now that's dedication!

Since we are nitpicking... why does it have to be 6 days a week?
  • mshanepace
    mshanepace Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

So I recently started a gym routine, and I was wondering if someone could do some critiquing?

My goal is to build muscle, lose weight and overall feel stronger and more comfortable.

Right now I do Push, Pull, Legs. What this translates to is

Monday- Push
    Tuesday-Rest
    Wednesday-Pull
    Thursday-Rest
    Friday-Legs
    Sat/Sun-Rest

What I do on those days is this:

Push
    Flat Barbell Bench Press: 3x5
    Standing Barbell Shoulder/Overhead Press: 3x5
    Incline Barbell Bench Press: 3x5
    Dumbbell Side Lateral Raise: 3x10-12
    Rope Pushdowns (circuit machine): 3x10-12
    Overhead Dumbbell Extension or similar triceps exercise: 3x10-12
    Shrugs (dumbbells): 3x10-12

Pull
    Barbell Rows: 3x5
    Lat Pull downs with (Long Bar) (circuit machine): 3x8-10
    Seated Rows (Circuit machine): 3x8-10
    Face-pulls: 3x-10-12
    Barbell Bicep Curls (Normal grip): 4x-10-12
    Hammer Curls: 3x10-12

Legs
    Barbell Squats: 4x5-6
    Leg Press: 3x8-10
    Leg Extensions (circuit machine): 3x10-12
    Hamstring Curls (circuit machine): 3x10-12
    Standing Calf Raises (circuit machine): 5x10-12

All of this courtesy of http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149807833&page=1

With that all said and done, What could I add? Remove? Should I do cardio everyday in-between? Is one day on the weekend good enough? Side note, any recommendations of pre workout?

Okay, here are somethings not mentioned about the above.

Work muscles from biggest to smallest. Example of poor setup in lifting is on your push day. Flat bench is great but doing military press between it and incline is a mistake. Shoulders, anterior head, are used on ALL pushing exercises. I also would relocate your incline bench in front of your flat bench since you won't be able to do as much work on your clavicular head of the pectoralis muscle, commonly referred to as the upper chest, after you do flat bench.

Shrugs are a pull exercise as well. The trapezius muscle is a pulling muscle. Shrugs and face pulls work the same muscle and slightly different ways.

As far as setting up a routine for you, I'd actually have you start off with the days a week full body workouts for about six months. Getting your body working out without killing you, don't NEED to do this but it's how I'D do it. I would choose ONE exercise per body part per day. I'd start with 3 sets with between 8 and 12 reps. With weight lifting the goal is intensity. The biggest reason to separate your body workout days is for time and to cut back on body stress, there is a chemical reason to do this physiologically but I won't go into that now. So, to start with go with lighter weights and better control. I'd then walk at the end for like 15 to 20 minutes. I'd never stretch before, it weakens the muscle, but I would warm up, like basic pushups etc. I would stretch after and on rest days.

After you get the form on the exercise and feel a bit better on recovery time I'd possibly go to a push pull legs split. I'd still probably go upper lower for the next six months. There are a lot of strange splits you can do actually but that's you playing thing I'd not worry too much about.

One of the reasons to find a good training partner or, better yet, trainer is that they'll help you through changing a program up to customize it to you and your body type. Everyone is different, even when it comes to lifting, but the basic stuff works, thus it's the basic stuff.

Lastly, muscle adaptation is a myth. Muscle fibers are either firing or they aren't. They can't see what they are doing to fire they just fire. What happens, as we get better at something it takes less stabilizer muscles to do the same exercise. So, they stop firing. Not because they're used to it but because they aren't need since the person isn't fighting the weights, they're using them.

Hopefully that helps (and has few typos)