Any ideas to make white fish intreasting.

Options
holm02
holm02 Posts: 13 Member
Ive bought white cobbler fish for my tea .What to be healthy but not boring wondered if any bodys got some ideas for me Thanks x

Replies

• StereophoneyGaz
    StereophoneyGaz Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I drizzle it with sweet chilli sauce and bake it :)
  • holm02
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Fry it in a Tempura style batter, pickled red cabbage, Crema, fresh tortillas
  • kbrown57
    kbrown57 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Broiled Tilapia Parmesan on Sparks Recipes..177 calories per serving. Quick and easy meal.
  • myepi
    myepi Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Season with salt and pepper, add a slice of lemon, a teaspoon of capers and thyme sprig, wrap in parchment paper and bake at 375F for about 10 to 15 min. Our absolutely favorite preparation of white fish.
    Another way is cutting it in chunks and tossing in cioppino (serve with zucchini pasta) or jambalaya.
  • kristen_wino
    kristen_wino Posts: 67 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Before i cook it. I like a tiny blob of puréed garlic from a jar (it's convienant) and a small drizzle of light ittalian dressing, black pepper. (No salt). OR I use Spicy Jerk Jamaican seasoning. From the multicultural isle in grocery store. They also have plain if u don't like spicy. OR a spoonful of Veggie Salsa on my fish. But the salsa, I put on after fish is cooked. So it stays a pretty colour. OR lemon juice and dried dill, salt, pepper. I'd prefer fresh dill, but I don't use it enough to keep buying fresh.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I never eat white fish, it tastes nothing. I prefer salmon, trout, tuna, herring, mackerel. And almost every shellfish besides crab and scallops.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    When I make tilapia, I baste it with olive oil and then sprinkle it with seasoning (usually Cajun but garlic and herb works too) and bake it. Usually serve with green veggies and/or rice and beans.
  • snoringcat
    snoringcat Posts: 131 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Place in an ovenproof dish, can of tomatoes poured over - add some onion & garlic if liked. Top with a 'crumble' mix of flour/butter, oats & grated cheese if liked. Bake for about 25 mins.

Or use it in a kedgeree (with rice, curry powder & hard boiled eggs).
  • redfiona99
    redfiona99 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I love cobbler. Depending on how you're cooking it, chili and lime either as a marinade or sauce.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I dredge it in flour mixed with cajun seasoning and pan fry in a small amount of butter (1 Tbsp/lb of fish is enough). Serve in fresh tortillas with avocado and tomatoes or cabbage slaw for a nice fish taco dish.
  • holm02
    Options
    :) aThanks
  • iwantmydenimback
    iwantmydenimback Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    i make a blackened seasoning with garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, thyme, smoked paprika, and cayenne pepper. pat it on to both sides of the fish and bake. i usually do a green veg and sometimes pasta or grits on the side. so good! the seasoning goes great on all kinds of fish, chicken, and pork too :)
  • DigiDel
    DigiDel Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Rub ground coriander, crushed chills, ground pepper, touch of salt (or not), minced garlic, and lemon rind on each side of the fish. Set oven to broil and cook fish for ten mins. Cook quinoa with more garlic when it's cooked through in 2 cups spinach and cover. You want spinach to wilt but not over cook. Then in a side dish dice avocado, whisk in lemon juice, fresh basil, some olive oil and lemon rind. Gentle toss avocado mix in with your quinoa. Place that on a dish and the lay your tilapia on top. It's sheer heaven!!!
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat halibut, as a white fish. I either use various herbs/spices and lemon, or top it (once baked) with a little mango salsa.
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options

8 Ounces uncooked orzo (about 1 1/2 cups)
    3/4 cup grape tomatoes, halved
    1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
    3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
    3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    4 (6-ounce) tilapia fillets
    3 tablespoons butter, divided
    1/4 cup white wine
    3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    1 tablespoon drained capers
    Preparation

Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain; stir in tomatoes, 1/4 teaspoon salt, parsley, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Set aside and keep warm.

Combine remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and flour in a large shallow dish. Dredge fish in flour mixture. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add fish to pan; cook 1 1/2 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork or until desired degree of doneness. Remove fish from pan; keep warm.

Add wine, juice, and capers to pan; cook 30 seconds. Remove from heat. Add remaining 2 tablespoons butter to pan; stir until butter melts. Serve fish with sauce and pasta.

Calories: 461/serving
    From MFP recipe. My family loves it!
  • Zed_cob
    Zed_cob Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Grill it. Makes a huge difference. Lay down foil or a cedar plank and grill from there. Any spices you like. Perhaps start with Old Bay Seasoning?

Better yet if you have a fire pit in the back yard get a tripod and cook over an open flame. That is the absolute best.
  • clafairy1984
    clafairy1984 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Spread with a tablespoon of pesto and bake, serve with roasted med veg, such as courgettes, tomatoes, red onion, or make a sauce from chopped tomatoes, tbsp balsamic vinegar, onion and olives, serve with polenta or new potatoes a veg.
  • holm02
    Options
    :)
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    I like to make jerk fish tacos with jerk seasoning, fresh mango salsa and avocados.