NSV: An accidental 5k

Options
h3h8m3
h3h8m3 Posts: 455 Member
I have been working out for about 5 weeks. My "trainer" (a friend from another State who gives me exercise and diet tips over the phone and via email a couple times a week) asked me not to jump into running too quickly. To work up to it very slowly, to ensure I don't injure my ligaments/tendons, as they take a lot longer than muscles to improve. So, I would do running in small intervals, but mostly I was doing walking fast with an incline, and strength training.

Last night he gave me the "all clear" to run during my evening exercise. My goal was to run two miles straight, without stopping @ 5mph. While it was pretty brutal sometimes (24 minutes sure is a long time when you're working that hard...) I made it through the whole two miles. I decided to walk for the next 16 minutes. Well, I walked for about 90 seconds and felt pretty good. Decided I could run again. So I ran for a couple minutes. Then walked a minute or two, then I ran again. A couple minutes into this run I looked down at the treadmill and saw that I was at like 2.5 miles. Then it occurred to me that I was only like .6 miles from finishing a 5k.

I got serious and I ran the rest of the way. I actually finished an inadvertent 5k! My first ever. I never dreamed I would do something like that.

Stats
Time: 39:30
Ran for: 35 minutes
Walked for: 4:30
Feeling: Unbelievable

I'm pretty sure that I could have run the entire way, but there's a strong mental portion to steady state cardio that I haven't mastered yet. The "just because you want to quit does not mean you need to quit" part. I will get there.

Replies

• pnero007
    pnero007 Posts: 14
    Options
    :happy: Way to go. that is absoutley awesome. Great NSV
  • igora_soma
    igora_soma Posts: 486
    Options
    That is so awesome!! Congrats on an amazing achievement :)
  • YMTaylor
    YMTaylor Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! :)
  • CardiacNP
    CardiacNP Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Congrats way to go. It is only the begging
    I know how good it feels. You have every reason to be proud!
  • sd101483
    sd101483 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    That's AMAZING! WTG! :)
  • tinareet
    tinareet Posts: 126
    Options
    wow and what a good time for a very first 5k that happened accidentally :D
    xx
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!!!! I'm about to do my first 8 min jog (followed by 5min walk thena notehr 8 min jog) stretch tonight and I'm terrified! even more so for my first 20 minute-er next time!
  • prettybrownround
    prettybrownround Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Congrats :glasses:
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Excellent job. I'm not even close to running for that length of time. When I"m ready to give up cause it's hard I start counting something, like breaths out or steps. Gets my mind working on something other than how freaking tired I am.
  • h3h8m3
    Options
    Fantastic!!!! I'm about to do my first 8 min jog (followed by 5min walk thena notehr 8 min jog) stretch tonight and I'm terrified! even more so for my first 20 minute-er next time!

My first jog was scary to me too... and I really believe our initial limitations (at least mine) are all mental. My first couple of cardio workouts I couldn't go more than like 12-15 minutes. A week or so later I was up to 30 doing harder and faster. Not because my body got in shape that fast, but because my mind stopped saying, "no, you can't do it" and said, "Well I guess maybe I can do this after all."

Best of luck to you.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options

My first jog was scary to me too... and I really believe our initial limitations (at least mine) are all mental. My first couple of cardio workouts I couldn't go more than like 12-15 minutes. A week or so later I was up to 30 doing harder and faster. Not because my body got in shape that fast, but because my mind stopped saying, "no, you can't do it" and said, "Well I guess maybe I can do this after all."

Best of luck to you.
    thanks - the weird thing is in the gym it's different (not the treadmill, I can't run on a treadmill) - yesterday on the elliptical I did 30 mins straight, sweating buckets, and didn't once need to stop, feels different jogging somehow
  • runlorirun
    runlorirun Posts: 389
    Options
    Awesome! I just started running again and did 2 one minute runs at 5mph. Props to you for doing 35 mins at that pace! :drinker:
  • h3h8m3
    Options
    Thanks all for the encouragement!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!