Not getting enough calories

Options
A few weeks ago I was diagnosed with PCOS and insulin resistance/pre-diabetes. I started taking metformin right away, and made some changes in my diet, as well as increasing the amount of exercise I get. My diet was relatively healthy before, but I hated excercise and sugar was my weak spot. Because of my PCOS, even with my mostly healthy diet, I'm prone to insulin resistance. I'm 5'8", 204 lbs, and have a large, curvy build.

My problem is that I'm having a hard time getting enough calories for the day. The metformin seems to curb my appetite - which is amazing, I always felt like a bottomless pit before. But most days I'm lucky to get 1000 calories in. I know that this isn't healthy. I'm not doing it on purpose, I just get to the end of the day and even though I've eaten nutritious food, it's just not enough. But I'm not hungry.

Here's an example of a typical day: I'll have a piece of whole grain toast or half of a whole wheat English muffin, spread with 0% Greek yogurt (instead of butter) and some strawberry rhubarb jam that I made with stevia instead of sugar. A scrambled or hard boiled egg. Also two cups of coffee with a total of 4 tbsp half & half, no sugar.
For lunch, usually a large salad full of veggies, and a protein (chicken, chickpeas, walnuts, etc) with homemade vinaigrette.
For dinner, it varies, but as an example we had lasagna the other night. I made a big batch for everyone else with the normal ingredients, and for myself I made a small serving with zucchini instead of noodles, ground turkey instead of ground beef, and lower fat ricotta and mozzarella. The sauce was homemade, since store bought sauce is loaded with sugar.
Most days I'll also have a mid afternoon snack consisting of a serving of dried apricots and walnuts, or Apple slices dipped in Greek yogurt with peanut butter stirred in.

This all adds up to around 1000 calories. I'm full and satisfied, and I feel like I'm making really healthy choices. I've also started working on my elliptical trainer 30 minutes a day, but I don't log my exercise because it would put me into the 800 calorie/day range.

Opinions, advice?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Stop using low fat and fat free substitutes.
  • rcontr7
    rcontr7 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If you're not logging exercise to keep you out of the 800 cal/day zone you're doing it wrong. You're still in that zone regardless of what you log. Eat calorie and nutrient dense foods - add some almond butter or almonds. Eat whole fat dairy like the ricotta because your body does need some fat - avocado is a good one that is calorie dense and nutritious. You need more to survive so start eating more. Have a protein shake.
  • rcontr7
    rcontr7 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Also - use 2% Greek yogurt. It's better if you ask me anyway - you get more protein.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Stop using low fat and fat free substitutes.

This.

Use butter not fat free yoghurt, don't bother subbing beef for turkey, etc etc
  • SimoneBee12
    SimoneBee12 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"7 and 222lbs and losing steadily on 1500 calories a day. So you could easily lose on 1200 a day. Just eat more calorie dense foods, eat the entire english muffin with butter, or have actual pasta. If you can't fit more food into your stomach, then just eat less but more calorie dense food.
  • joannenicole451
    joannenicole451 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have borderline high cholesterol (a combination of family history of heart disease, and my insulin resistance making me more likely to develop heart disease.) My doctor told me to cut back on fats. Heart-healthy fats are ok in moderation, olive oil, avocado, nuts and nut butters, etc. I do eat those things. But any diabetes/pre-diabetes info I've read specifically states to cut out full fat dairy products and red meat. My doctor also said that I should cut my healthy carbs by half...if I'd normally have a cup of brown rice, have half a cup. If I'd normally eat a whole English muffin, eat half of one. And I try to eat whole foods as much as possible. I make most things from scratch. I'd rather cut out fats and sugars than replace them with chemical substitutes.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Eating too low will do equally as much damage to your body. Losing weight will improve your insulin resistance, and if that means adding a little more back into your diet to meet your caloric needs then so be it. I was diagnosed with PCOS and mild IR in October, and I've not changed a single thing I eat - I just changed how much of *everything* I was eating. There's no point in trading off health problems.
  • SimoneBee12
    SimoneBee12 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    If you have that many restrictions, then maybe you should see a professional qualified dietitian who can help you develop a meal plan with higher calories. As the above poster said, eating so few calories is also hurting you, so either way, you need to see someone who can help you before it gets worse.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Losing excess weight can help your cholesterol situation.

Skeletal muscle (and weight loss) can help to increase insulin sensitivity.

As far as getting the right amount of calories, you don't take your pill because you're hungry or because you like the taste. You take it because you know your body needs it at this point. You may need to consider the extra calories this way for the time being.
  • vgrezzy
    vgrezzy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    eat more calorie dense foods like nuts and nut butters, and up the fat on your dairy
  • smslogan317
    smslogan317 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have diabetes, type 2, diagnosed march 2006, I personally follow the Ketogenic diet, which is high fat low carb. You will find that diabetes is a complex disease, but treating it is really easy. Carbs need to stay low, all forms of carbs. Fruits contain simple carbs/sugar which are going to make blood sugars spike, most veggies are complex, which give you more even sugar, high fiber breads and cereal and pasta claim to be diabetic friendly, but seriously read the label and do your homework. If the main ingredient is flour, and I don't care what type, its going to spike glucose levels. Matter of fact eating to much protein and low carbs makes your liver produce glucose which will spike glucose levels. You and everyone else do not need Carbs to live or function, it is not an essential macronutrient. On the other hand fat and protein are essential. You will here things like your brain needs carbs to function, BS, do your research. Also there are carbs in more food than you think so be careful, eggs have .5 grams per large egg, veggies, half and half, (I use heavy cream). Fat is not bad, there is such a thing as rabbit starvation which you can die from, when you do not get enough fat.
    Now as far as exercise, its great you are doing it, you need to, you need to eat to lose, as diabetics our pancreas does not function properly, so we need to help it, now insulin is one of the most powerful hormones in the body, it is a growth hormone. Yes a growth hormone, bodybuilders use it routinely. If you take in too many carbs (of any form) and do not use them insulin stores it as fat, end of story. Remember as type 2 diabetics, our dietary choices got us here, its our dietary choices that will get us out of here.
    You will do fine eat, eat, eat, exercise, keep the carbs low. My doctor is great, I love her, but she is not the savior, question everything, and find out your own answers.