Apple cider vinegar?

Options
Hi all, a girl at work told me she's lost 20 pounds in 2 months with apple cider vinegar. Does it actually work / have any bad side effects?

Replies

• mrshazia
    mrshazia Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My friend is also taking it. I have no idea how much in quantity is she taking it. She also has lost significant amount of weight and is glowing. But research shows that it curbs cravings. I dont know how much of that is true. Does not harm to try.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    It does nothing but make a good salad dressing. The reasons shes lost 20 pounds is she is eating less than she burns it has nothing to do with cider vinegar. As with all these things if it sounds too good to be true .....

The bad side effect it doesn't work and tastes vile
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    There is nothing magical about fermenting apple juice until it turns into vinegar, except the flavor it gives to things like salad dressings and BBQ sauce.
  • myweightloss2016
    myweightloss2016 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I have been taking it for 4 days right now.. so I don't know yet!
  • kalyn_QT
    kalyn_QT Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I see nothing wrong with giving it a try. Will it work with no other changes?Not likely. You still have to eat right and exercise. I will tell you though it must be diluted in water to consume it. It is highly acidic plain and even diluted can still wear your teeth. So rinse your mouth with water and baking soda after drinking the mixture.No need to damage your teeth enamel. Most people drink diluted ACV before meals. Drinking water right before a meal is supposed to help you feel fuller faster so the ACV/water combo probably does the same leading you to eat slightly less.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    never brush your teeth after consuming anything acidic for like an hr. I heard it can wear the enamel off quicker that way
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    There is nothing magical about fermenting apple juice until it turns into vinegar, except the flavor it gives to things like salad dressings and BBQ sauce.

+1

There has been one study done, back in 2009, and the sample size was too small to extrapolate to the greater population. Same with the ACV effect on blood sugar study. Take it, don't take it, don't get heartbroken if more research doesn't bear it out.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    The "apple cider vinegar for weight loss" BS has been around since the '70's. I know because I had friends that were doing it. To no effect. If it *really* caused weight loss, there wouldn't be any fat people.
  • MountainMelodie
    MountainMelodie Posts: 1 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    It can be very hard on the esophagus and belly. Even though it is an acid in it's form, it is my understanding that the body breaks it down and metabolizes it as a Ph. I use it on my face for acne... it worked when I first started and now it doesn't do a thing.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I will say I just tried a home remedy of apple cider vinegar + apple juice to quell a gallbladder attack (awaiting surgery). The first time it worked, I'm hoping it does the second time too. :(

Edit: It did.
  • lowriderjim
    lowriderjim Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If anyone discovers that beer and pizza cause weight, loss contact me and I will be a male model. Until then I will continue to eat less than I burn.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I use it to cook my black beans. Very good flavor.
  • sarawalker14
    sarawalker14 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You know... I hear people say it works and some say it doesnt. My two morbidly obese Aunts began drinking it twice a day and actually has lost weight. They did not change the way the ate nor did any excerises. The only they changed was drinking ACV... so maybe it could work! Just gotta try it to see...

Pre warning though, I always keep ACV around, the like unfiltered kind.. yea so I didn't realize you had to dilute it to drink it... which... I felt like a freaking idiot after. I wanted to take it like a shot to get it over with faster.... with in 3 min I started getting dizzy. Hot flashes, stomach churning.... then I threw up a couple times... sooo DON'T be an idiot like me!!! Don't take it as a shot, dilute it!!! A friend did it too, w.o changing anything, and it actually worked w. Her too, she was overweight also.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    You know... I hear people say it works and some say it doesnt. My two morbidly obese Aunts began drinking it twice a day and actually has lost weight. They did not change the way the ate nor did any excerises. The only they changed was drinking ACV... so maybe it could work! Just gotta try it to see...

Pre warning though, I always keep ACV around, the like unfiltered kind.. yea so I didn't realize you had to dilute it to drink it... which... I felt like a freaking idiot after. I wanted to take it like a shot to get it over with faster.... with in 3 min I started getting dizzy. Hot flashes, stomach churning.... then I threw up a couple times... sooo DON'T be an idiot like me!!! Don't take it as a shot, dilute it!!! A friend did it too, w.o changing anything, and it actually worked w. Her too, she was overweight also.

The people that you know who took ACV and lost weight without changing anything else about their lives/diets - how do you know? Did you monitor what they ate before/after the switch to ACV? How much weight did they lose and in what amount of time?
  • futuremilf2015
    futuremilf2015 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    evileen99 wrote: »
    The "apple cider vinegar for weight loss" BS has been around since the '70's. I know because I had friends that were doing it. To no effect. If it *really* caused weight loss, there wouldn't be any fat people.

Diet and exercise cause weight loss but there are still proud fat people