Muslims and Ramadan

Options
hiya

As a title suggest,,I just joined this site, I already lost alot in.past 3 months with diet and exercises but with approaching the fasting month,,iM not sure of any exercise or diet??what other people have done in the past. Please let me know. thanks

Replies

• rubyandmani
    rubyandmani Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    thanks a ton.xx
  • mmnv79
    mmnv79 Posts: 538 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hi! I'm not a Muslim but I like arab cuisine and there are some healthy recipes on the NHS website (UK National Health Service official website): Fasting Diet Plan

These healthy meal ideas will give you a varied and balanced diet during Ramadan. They include ingredients from the five major food groups.

The meal plan has been written by medical experts in consultation with Islamic scholars.

Fluids (water and juices) and dates should be added to each Suhoor (pre-dawn meal) and Iftar (dinner – the meal that ends the day's fast). The fast is broken with dates, followed by dinner.

Suhoor: a bowl of porridge with milk, one slice of toast and a handful of unsalted nuts

Iftar: pitta bread with chicken, salad and hummus, and one or two pieces of baklava

Suhoor: wheat-based cereal with milk, a plain scone or crumpet, and an apple or banana

Iftar: chicken with boiled rice, vegetable curry and mixed salad, followed by fruit salad with single cream

Suhoor: a bowl of shredded wheat or muesli and a pear or orange

Iftar: baked fish with roasted vegetables, or fish curry with rice followed by sweet vermicelli or one piece of jalebi (an Indian sweet)

Suhoor: cheese, then one teaspoon of jam with crackers or toast, and a handful of dried fruits

Iftar: pasta cooked with vegetables and chicken or fish, and a slice of plain cake with custard

Hope it helps!
  • rubyandmani
    Options
    mmnv79 wrote: »
    Hi! I'm not a Muslim but I like arab cuisine and there are some healthy recipes on the NHS website (UK National Health Service official website): Fasting Diet Plan

These healthy meal ideas will give you a varied and balanced diet during Ramadan. They include ingredients from the five major food groups.

The meal plan has been written by medical experts in consultation with Islamic scholars.

Fluids (water and juices) and dates should be added to each Suhoor (pre-dawn meal) and Iftar (dinner – the meal that ends the day's fast). The fast is broken with dates, followed by dinner.

Suhoor: a bowl of porridge with milk, one slice of toast and a handful of unsalted nuts

Iftar: pitta bread with chicken, salad and hummus, and one or two pieces of baklava

Suhoor: wheat-based cereal with milk, a plain scone or crumpet, and an apple or banana

Iftar: chicken with boiled rice, vegetable curry and mixed salad, followed by fruit salad with single cream

Suhoor: a bowl of shredded wheat or muesli and a pear or orange

Iftar: baked fish with roasted vegetables, or fish curry with rice followed by sweet vermicelli or one piece of jalebi (an Indian sweet)

Suhoor: cheese, then one teaspoon of jam with crackers or toast, and a handful of dried fruits

Iftar: pasta cooked with vegetables and chicken or fish, and a slice of plain cake with custard

Hope it helps!

yes. it helped.cheers
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    What I'd recommend is breaking the fast with some higher fat items; given that the window of time to eat is shorter, you may want to focus on items that will keep you fuller longer (fat, protein, and fiber can help with this), and are more calorically dense, so you can have fuel for your day during the fasting period.

From what I've seen from Muslim users on this website, exercise is a personal decision. If your body feels up to it, try doing some light exercises during the day. Walking can be low intensity and good during the fasting period. I probably wouldn't try anything too strenuous, so that you don't get too dehydrated.
  • Justifier
    Justifier Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I am not Muslim, but I work with Muslim teenagers. Although I cannot tell them what to do in regards to their religion and the sacrifices they make during fast, I want to make sure they take care of their health as much as possible.

If dieting and fasting together gets to be too much strain on your body, I'm sure it will be okay to eat a little more during your morning and evening meals to make sure you can get through the day safely. Dieting can take a backseat when you're focusing on your spirituality this month.
  • rubyandmani
    Options
    thanks for your input guys. got some ideas on food and exercise time etc. will try as much as I could do,if nt then its nt the endof the world. will start again after Ramadan month.
  • sarabrunning
    sarabrunning Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have a very fit friend who observed Ramadan and we were discussing: he does some (lighter than usual) weightlifting in the evening before breaking the fast but no cardio the whole month to avoid dehydration and burning too many calories needed to get through the workday.
  • NoorSharif
    NoorSharif Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Very helpful stuff if there's more suggestions please keep em coming! I also found this a few days ago which I think is comprehensive and fantastic.

http://productivemuslim.com/the-fasting-and-the-fit/