☯ Recovering from an Eating Disorder ☯

Options
atj110
atj110 Posts: 23 Member
Hi everyone,

Obviously I'm new! I'm a 22 year old girl from the Midwest, but I go to college on the East Coast. DC is my favorite place in the US, but I'm dying to visit Seattle, Portland, Las Cruces, Las Vegas, and a few parts of California. If I could go anywhere overseas right now, it would be Israel or Morocco. What else? I've been a dancer for 13 years and I'm teaching dance for the first time this summer. I also contribute to two online magazines, and I have a personal blog that has opened up a lot of opportunities for me. A good day for me is spending time with friends or family and my cats. As my title says, I'm recovering from an ED. It got pretty bad earlier this academic year and I had to be hospitalized. After getting out of the hospital I relapsed and maintained my weight until the past three months. I've gained a bit, so it's triggering. But I just want to attempt to be healthier so I can enjoy all the amazing things in my life. My goal is to stress exercise and choosing better foods (without punishing myself) instead of obsessively counting calories... I want to find balance. Hopefully I can find support here!

Thanks for reading. :blush:

Replies

• meganoakley75
    meganoakley75 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You are an inspiration im so glad you made it. Iknow eating disorders are hard to deal with but im sure you can do it. Add me for support
  • lovelyhulett
    lovelyhulett Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear your story. Hope to be your friend on here. Praying that you stay strong and stay healthy
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I'm concerned that you are still not well food wise, there are no good or bad foods. We just either over or under eat foods of our choice.
    Have you worked out your TDEE? You work that out and eat that amount and you will be fine, won't gain or lose.
  • atj110
    Options
    I'm concerned that you are still not well food wise, there are no good or bad foods. We just either over or under eat foods of our choice.
    Have you worked out your TDEE? You work that out and eat that amount and you will be fine, won't gain or lose.

Apparently my TDEE is 1,979 when I'm least active and 2,412 when I'm average (activity 5 days/week). I'm not sure if that's still true if I'm dancing 5 days per week (like teaching all day plus class) and then pulling 60-120 minutes of cardio a few days as well. I swear I've fried my metabolism. When I'm going all out I may get a little smaller inches wise, but the number on the scale doesn't move that much. I get muscular so quickly but it just makes me feel so big and it's all very frustrating. I want to lose the 20 pounds I've gained in recovery though, at least. It's all very hard.

Thanks for the support everyone! I want to be a positive role model at some point but I also want to feel comfortable in my own skin.

• fitter_happier94
    fitter_happier94 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    @atj110 Struggling with a restrictive ED myself. Wouldn't use the word "recovery" per se because I stopped seeing my counselor (I know, I know), but I'm doing pretty good food wise most days. Eating quite a bit lately to accommodate for exercise, too. I am trying to lose a few pounds but my calorie intake is never triggering or unsafe. I've added you, stay strong :)
  • atj110
    Options
    @atj110 Struggling with a restrictive ED myself. Wouldn't use the word "recovery" per se because I stopped seeing my counselor (I know, I know), but I'm doing pretty good food wise most days. Eating quite a bit lately to accommodate for exercise, too. I am trying to lose a few pounds but my calorie intake is never triggering or unsafe. I've added you, stay strong :)

I'm in the same place! Stopped seeing my therapist because I'm home for the summer. I'm supposed to see a new one here, but I'm torn about it especially because m parents have never acknowledged my ED, especially in the past 5 years. It's complicated.

Anyway, sending you good vibes! I'll add you back and definitely message me if you ever need support. I can send you a like to my blog(s) if you want!

(That last part goes for everyone, though.)

x