Need help

Options
I'm new to this.. Tried every diet... Over 50 and can't seem to lose weight... What percentage should I put my fat, carb and protein at to be successful. Thanks

Replies

• LadyScorpio67
    LadyScorpio67 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Hi there and Welcome! My latest...and last diet, may I say, was Atkins. Not going into detail, but that didn't work for me either and I don't know why I even tried it. I stuck with what MFP gave me in the first place and it's been working. If you enter your info at the start, I think it calculates the carb, protien, and fat for you, but the standard, which mine is at, is 50% carb, 20% protein, and 30% fat (although I tend to keep a bit higher protein and lower carb). It should calculate you calorie intake also. Hope this helps.
  • moparwoman73
    moparwoman73 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I will try that. I think carbs are my enemy but I can't go without bread totally.
  • ronrhoda
    ronrhoda Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    So far I'm doing good with MFP! I count everything! It's working. Still learning the ropes, friend me if you like!
  • LadyScorpio67
    LadyScorpio67 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Carbs are my enemy for sure, but like you, I can't go totally without. I keep track of my percentages to make sure I try keep a little above my protein percentage and a bit below my carb percentage.

If either would like to add me, please do! :)
  • nneretin
    nneretin Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I do a more equally divided count. Most of the carbs and fats can come from plant based food, fruit, nuts and vegetables. Just being conscious of the portion size might be enough to not even think about it. If you are truly overdoing something the calories will go over.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I will try that. I think carbs are my enemy but I can't go without bread totally.

You don't need to give up bread totally.

Try 40/30/30 (carbs, fat, protein) as a rough start for your macros.
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    For losing weight, remember that calorie counting is even more important. If you are eating at your maintenance level of calories, but still maintaining the macros specified, you aren't going to lose weight. If you are eating at a caloric deficit, you should be losing weight. I don't pay any attention to my macros, but I've lost ~31lbs... Pretty much only just started keeping an eye on sodium for water weight.
  • tram5401
    tram5401 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've tried I don't know how many different diets, but the MFP recommendations have given me the most success overall. Put in your weight, goal weight, how fast you want to lose it - and let MFP do the rest. One suggestion - don't put in any 'planned activity', tell MFP that you pretty much don't move around. It will then give you the gumption to get in some exercise - because exercise = more calories you get to eat that day. Works great if you combine MFP with a FitBit - it automatically tracks your activity and adjusts your calories each day. Follow the MFP guidelines in the food you choose and try to keep around the daily goals for calories, protein, carbs, and fiber and you can't go wrong. Lastly, keep track of your daily results on a spreadsheet (look under reports, net calories). I track them every day, this way if I have an off day, but I was under for several days around the bad day, I can see I am still on track 'overall' towards my goals. Good luck! Feel free to friend me as well; I share my diary with friends who need hints as to what to eat.
  • paw2262
    paw2262 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm new as well and like reading the advice given feel free to add me
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    tram5401 wrote: »
    I've tried I don't know how many different diets, but the MFP recommendations have given me the most success overall. Put in your weight, goal weight, how fast you want to lose it - and let MFP do the rest. One suggestion - don't put in any 'planned activity', tell MFP that you pretty much don't move around. It will then give you the gumption to get in some exercise - because exercise = more calories you get to eat that day. Works great if you combine MFP with a FitBit - it automatically tracks your activity and adjusts your calories each day. Follow the MFP guidelines in the food you choose and try to keep around the daily goals for calories, protein, carbs, and fiber and you can't go wrong. Lastly, keep track of your daily results on a spreadsheet (look under reports, net calories). I track them every day, this way if I have an off day, but I was under for several days around the bad day, I can see I am still on track 'overall' towards my goals. Good luck! Feel free to friend me as well; I share my diary with friends who need hints as to what to eat.

Exactly, I let MFP do the job for me, I'm down 53 since Jan. 3rd with 1-3 miles of walking a day and I have a job where I drive so not very active there. It's all about the calories! And if you haven't gotten a food scale and measuring spoons for amounts I HIGHLY recommend it. I have a misfit flash and use that app with MFP. I have done WW, Atkins, Paleo, Slimfast, cutout a food group, you name it. Your head has to be in the game to succeed at any of them. I eat protein bars for breakfast everyday, they are high in fiber and really filling.