How do you respond to people who compliments that you've lost weight?

Options
yangt41
yangt41 Posts: 33 Member
Hi everyone! I started my weight loss journey on January 9th, 2015 at 213 lbs and so far I'm at 185-186ish lbs. I went from 40% body fat to 30%. I'm happy with my results but I still have quite a ways to get to 150 lbs and below 25% body fat! I have been receiving numerous compliments from people for shedding some excess weight, which makes me feel AWESOME and just makes me want to keep losing! But... how do I respond without sounding conceited?! I usually just say "thank you" but even then I feel it's still inappropriate or makes me sound stuck up at times. Most people who compliment me are ones who happen to be bigger people or people who have packed on a few pounds, so I dont want to make then feel bad or anything talking about weight loss. This could just be a me-thing, I'm not sure. Any advice would be awesome!

Replies

• rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    A thank you is fine.
    Don't read to much into it.
    They gave you the compliment- thank them and move on. :)
  • mrsmontgomerywilson
    mrsmontgomerywilson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. It's kind of awkward but I love that they notice. Strangers at my gym are always complimenting me...and its weird cause I have no compliment to return
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I agree that a thank you is sufficient but you could also say, "Thanks so much for noticing, it gives me extra motivation to keep working!" so not only have you thanked them but they know how it motivates you.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Say, "Thanks. I feel really good."
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Just say thanks...not sure how that comes off as conceited.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I just say thank you.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    The same way I respond to any compliment "thank you", or if I get the "You've lost weight!" I say..."Yes". And sometimes "Yes, it feels great".
  • bketchum1981
    bketchum1981 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I felt awkward and said, "thanks, I've been working at it,"
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Thank you works, but they usually have an expectant look on their face and I scramble for what to say next! It can be super awkward (and some times not welcome... My body is not for your scrutiny!)
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Thank you for noticing; I've been working hard at getting healthy. :sweat_smile:
  • zenaxe
    zenaxe Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Is the issue what you say or how you say it? Anything said in a sincere way will come across as such.. congrats on your loss and to people noticing !
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU! with a big smile
  • KatieLK14
    KatieLK14 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    just say thank you. Its often followed by "how did you do it?!" haha
  • CandiedCarrion
    CandiedCarrion Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    It depends on how they do it.
    If they're being condescending, and or giving backhanded compliments like "you're so much prettier now that you've lost weight," or "you've been hiding such a great figure under all that weight," I just give a curt thank you nod.

If they're genuinely complimenting me or my success, I thank them nicely, and answer their questions the best I can.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    "Thanks!" Simple as that. Far from sounding concieted, it may actually come off as more concieted if you try to shrug off the compliment.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I usually say "Thanks, I've been working hard.", "That's what losing X pounds does for a person." (because I know the next question will be 'how much have you lost?') or just "Thank you!" will do.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Thank you? I'm not used to being complimented, so I'm always skeptical.
  • bunsen_honeydew
    bunsen_honeydew Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    If it is a nice compliment, just say thank you.
    if it is a bit backhanded, say Gosh, what a rude thing to say. And walk away!
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I think you are handling the attention really well, with your genuine response of "Thank you".....

I do understand the feelings of awkwardness too though.....after spending so many years trying to hide my weight and shape to come out from under the 'rock' so to speak and have others notice can be so unusual that you find yourself stuck for words or even unintentionally brushing off their comments. It took me quite a while to just be comfortable enough in my own new skin to try to be gracious in accepting the compliments.....

You are doing great and obviously your hard work is noticeable to others try, it's now your time to enjoy all the benefits of weight loss and better health.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!