The Gym was a burden ...Now it's more of like a necessity

Options
I'm currently on week 3 of my healthy eating and exercise...I go to the gym everyday and burn around 400 while I'm there and I try to eat between a 1200-1500 calorie intake everyday. I am currently overweight ....when will I start to notice results ?? I'm so determined but I sometimes feel discouraged when I look in the mirror and don't see any visible results when I'm basically cut my calories in half.

Replies

• debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Make sure that you are weighing and logging all of your food and drinks that you consume each day to make sure that your calorie counts are accurate. Are you using the machines, MFP, or a heart rate monitor to do determine your calorie burns for your gym time?

It took a while before I could noticeable tell results. I went from thisclose to 300 pounds to about 265 before I dropped a size and anybody else could tell the difference! Discouraging, I know but I kept at. Since then I have dropped another 30 pounds, went down two pants sizes, bought some clothes that fit and now everyone compliments me on the weight loss.

I highly recommend that you take before and after pictures, take measurements (biceps, chest, waist, hips, and thighs), the way that your clothes fit, and improved fitness levels as ways to measure your success instead of relying solely on the scale.

Good luck!
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    It's going to take longer than 3 weeks. Weight loss happens in the kitchen, the gym is for fitness. Like @debubbie said, make sure your food logging is accurate. Be consistent, manage your expectations & have realistic weight loss goals. It didn't take 3 weeks to put the weight on so it's unrealistic to think 3 weeks will take the weight off.
  • lissaejerome
    lissaejerome Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you and yes I'm using this app to track all foods and exercise quote="strong_curves;32886847"]It's going to take longer than 3 weeks. Weight loss happens in the kitchen, the gym is for fitness. Like @debubbie said, make sure your food logging is accurate. Be consistent, manage your expectations & have realistic weight loss goals. It didn't take 3 weeks to put the weight on so it's unrealistic to think 3 weeks will take the weight off.[/quote]

• lissaejerome
    Options
    Thank you for your advice !!!quote="debubbie;32886714"]Make sure that you are weighing and logging all of your food and drinks that you consume each day to make sure that your calorie counts are accurate. Are you using the machines, MFP, or a heart rate monitor to do determine your calorie burns for your gym time?

It took a while before I could noticeable tell results. I went from thisclose to 300 pounds to about 265 before I dropped a size and anybody else could tell the difference! Discouraging, I know but I kept at. Since then I have dropped another 30 pounds, went down two pants sizes, bought some clothes that fit and now everyone compliments me on the weight loss.

I highly recommend that you take before and after pictures, take measurements (biceps, chest, waist, hips, and thighs), the way that your clothes fit, and improved fitness levels as ways to measure your success instead of relying solely on the scale.

Good luck![/quote]

• Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm currently on week 3 of my healthy eating and exercise...I go to the gym everyday and burn around 400 while I'm there and I try to eat between a 1200-1500 calorie intake everyday. I am currently overweight ....when will I start to notice results ?? I'm so determined but I sometimes feel discouraged when I look in the mirror and don't see any visible results when I'm basically cut my calories in half.

Is going to the gym every single day enjoyable to you? Is it sustainable? Just wondering because that sounds awful to me :p Anyways, results come with an appropriate calorie deficit. If you're not seeing any movement on the scale a few things could be going on- you're not accurately accounting for your food (weighing, portion sizes, logging everything etc), you've mis-calculated what your appropriate calorie deficit should be, or it could be that you're doing all of that correctly, but the exercise is causing water retention. Or, it could be things like sodium intake, time of month etc etc.

As for visible difference, I lost over 20lbs before I could see it in the mirror. Part of that is also how we perceive ourselves. I'm now two years into maintenance and am around 60lbs lighter, and I still struggle with how I see myself some days. This whole weight loss thing can be a big mind trip :expressionless:
  • lissaejerome
    Options
    I love it !!! It helps me really get by with school and work and extra energy which is needed when you have a toddler ;) . It also helps with stress and makes me feel great ! I only go for an hour and I don't leave until I sweat. I measure everything except fruits and veggies and I notice inches lost but not much on weight. I guess time will tell
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    It takes plentu of time to see visible weight loss results, get this in your head. the scales will tell you if you have los lbs, the tape measure inches amd your times / stats if you have goten faster and stronger. Inches lost is better.

With 40lb to lose get it in your head it ould take a year at just under 1lb a week, maybe that will stop you wanting results too fast and getting frustrated. the nie thing is when you get resuls they are still there the next morning.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    if you dont see any loss in 3 weeks than you eat to much calories
    Open you diary so people can help you

Weigh all your food on a food scale.... dont use cups/spoons or serving sizes...But weigh ALL your solid food.
    Create a deficit and you will lose weight.
  • lissaejerome
    Options
    Ok thanks for the advice !! I've opened my diary when you have time I value your suggestions
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Don't pay attention to the number on the scale as much as your body measurements. 3 weeks isn't really even enough to gauge results. I mean heck, for me personally the only way I know I'm losing weight still is by looking at my weigh-in history here and my measurements!
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    many people (various sites I have googled in the past) have said that it takes an average time of 21 days to form a habit, whether it be to quit smoking, gym going, or for example an amputee to adjust to the loss of a limb. That is the average. So you are off to a great start! Congrats!
  • 460mustang
    460mustang Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Once you start losing weight and getting fit, going to the gym will become an addiction. After awhile you'll realize you need some days of rest. It does take some time to get in shape, so be patient.
  • ariamythe
    ariamythe Posts: 130 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I measure everything except fruits and veggies and I notice inches lost but not much on weight. I guess time will tell
    Why do you skip measuring fruits and vegetables? Fruits, especially, can sneak hidden calories into a diet quicker than you may realize if your portions are larger than you think. Even with generic entries in MFP, a "Small" apple, for example, vs. a "Large" apple, can vary by 30 or 40 calories depending on variety and which MFP entry you choose.

• Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Just took a peek at your diary and the thing that stood out to me is you're not eating enough! You're under calories every day, sometimes by over 1,000 calories! Under-eating can cause all sorts of issues. Really try and hit close to your calorie goal.