It's time for me to get off the couch.

Finally628
Finally628 Posts: 3 Member
Hi - I'm certain I am not unique in saying - "Here I go again". This time however, I'm finding it harder to get started.

5 years ago my husband, Eric, and I decided we needed to get healthy and promised each other we would stick with it. Me at almost 300lbs and him at 250lbs we needed a change, So we joined the gym. My husband and I would go to the gym 5 days a week. I used a trainer 3 times a week. I lost 86 lbs. in the 1st year. I was feeling great and proud of myself. Eric came and supported me everyday but did his own thing and lost 50 lbs. We were looking good. We had promised each other that we would get healthy so we would live longer together and be able to do more activities and we were doing it. We began hiking and swimming and planning exciting vacations. My doctor took me of all diabetic meds except 2. He was floored by my success. We were living the dream.

But then, at 43 years old, Eric suddenly without warning or illness, passed away. I stopped going to the gym. I couldn't bear to walk in there. I lost all motivation. Basically I just gave up. He was gone and I wondered what was the point? What happened? I lost my husband, my best friend and my biggest cheerleader. My life stopped. I was alone, angry, sad, and frustrated. I felt cheated, hopeless and lost all at the same time. With no one encouraging me and no one to be accountable to I put 65 lbs. back on in 4 years. I now take 6 different diabetic meds and a shot of insulin every day, My doctor is worried. My 30 yr. old daughter is worried.

I feel sluggish, my knees hurt and I hate my life like this. I've finally realized that in stopping my healthy eating that my body is breaking down. More importantly I realize that in giving up that I've broken my promised to Eric. Something I'd never done before in our 12 year marriage.

The 28th of June will be the 4th year anniversary of his passing, as well as my birthday. I finally decided - it's time to fulfill my promise to Eric.

So now I'm doing it alone. I don't know about going back to the gym - I miss him being there supporting and encouraging me. I thought something different would be a good place to start. I'm going to try kick boxing. My trainer, who has since become a very good friend, thinks it's a good place to start. I've heard some really good things about it. Would be nice if I had someone to go with me but this is my journey and my promise to fulfill. So here I go again.

Replies

• glortard
    glortard Posts: 67 Member
    best of luck in the journey
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    You can do this :)
  • xiaoharhar2000
    xiaoharhar2000 Posts: 1 Member
    Is not too late to start a health lifestyle and live again. Start believing yourself.
  • BritBoogaloo
    BritBoogaloo Posts: 67 Member
    That was so moving, and I am so sorry for your loss.

Please don't beat yourself up about gaining back some of the weight. You suffered from a terrible tragedy and it takes us a long time to recover emotionally and psychologically from such things. When you're in such a frame of mind, sometimes health isn't a first priority and that's OKAY.

I am so glad that you've recovered to the extent that you're able to take steps into re-entering your healthy lifestyle. Coming through all of this and being in the position to get back into it shows you are so strong. You can do it!

I've added you here if you want a friend. Be gentle with yourself and we can do it together! Big hugs. I know Eric would be proud of you taking this hardest step. :)
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Eric sounds very special.
    It's okay to grieve and forget about yourself for awhile. Now its time to take care of yourself again. Eric would be proud of you.
    We're here to support and encourage you, too. Hugs.
  • markdoddsy7
    markdoddsy7 Posts: 9 Member
    Good luck
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    It sounds rough. I'm glad you decided to fight for your life now. welcome
  • spatulathumbs
    spatulathumbs Posts: 125 Member
    That was so moving, and I am so sorry for your loss.

Please don't beat yourself up about gaining back some of the weight. You suffered from a terrible tragedy and it takes us a long time to recover emotionally and psychologically from such things. When you're in such a frame of mind, sometimes health isn't a first priority and that's OKAY.

I am so glad that you've recovered to the extent that you're able to take steps into re-entering your healthy lifestyle. Coming through all of this and being in the position to get back into it shows you are so strong. You can do it!

I've added you here if you want a friend. Be gentle with yourself and we can do it together! Big hugs. I know Eric would be proud of you taking this hardest step. :)

^^^ All of this.
  • sstrack123
    sstrack123 Posts: 171 Member
    Sorry for your loss. Believe in yourself, you can do it!! My diary is open if you would like to add me.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Sorry for your loss. Wishing you all the best.
  • beachgal0626
    beachgal0626 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Sorry to hear of your loss. Best wishes as you continue to heal and take time to take care of you -- one day at a time, one step at a time. You can do it!
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Sorry for your loss, you can do this.
  • linniem96
    linniem96 Posts: 9 Member
    Hi finally628, I am so sorry for your loss. unfortunately I can relate very much to your story. 4 years ago my weight was at my highest ever 200 lbs at 53 years old. I had always been very active and was athletic since my childhood participating in a variety of team and individual sports. So when i noticed I was getting winded just walkin up the street I knew it was time to do something about it. With the help of a weight loss MD (no surgery just good care and teaching and using MFP) I began a low cal balanced diet and started working out regularly. Started in August 2011 and by following Spring I had lost 47 lbs and weighed in low 150's. I was feeling better than I had in years and was so proud of myself. I maintained the weight for the next year pretty easily by doing everything I had been doing. Then in June 2013 my youngest son was killed in a car crash. So sudden and tragic. The grief is unbearable.
    Somehow in a haze I maintained through the next year but by June of 2014 I just lost all motivation. Walking was one of the things I had enjoyed best but avoided it because the time alone was worse. I barely had the energy to make it through the day much less feel like coming home from work to workout too. I also couldnt find the energy to cook healthy and fell back in to my old patterns of fast food or comfort food. So I've gained back about 18 lbs and am feeling defeated. A part of me knows I need to get going and try again so last couple days I've been meal planning and logging in. Actually lost 2 lbs so far but don't have the same level of confidence I had before. Thanks for sharing your story and maybe thinking about your journey will motivate me to stay on mine. Man, life sure can throw you a curve ball when you least expect it!
    Take care and I'll be praying for you.
  • melzy824
    melzy824 Posts: 45 Member
    Finally628 & linniem96 both your stories are so moving my heart breaks for you. I know you can do this! Stay strong :)
  • linniem96
    linniem96 Posts: 9 Member
    Thanks melzy824. One day at a time.....
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Finally628 and linniem96 your posts are heartbreaking. Well done for turning the corner and remembering to look after yourselves (((hugs))) x
  • salaita1968
    salaita1968 Posts: 165 Member
    Sorry for your loss.Best of luck in the journey
  • Dustinsteven22
    Dustinsteven22 Posts: 280 Member
    Thank you for sharing your story. You are strong. I'm glad to see that you decided to continue the promise you made with Eric. Make sure to have a solid plan in place and stick to the 3 keys of fitness: Nutrition, Exercise, and Support. Feel free to add me!
  • AshleyDylanBuddy
    AshleyDylanBuddy Posts: 9 Member
    I'm sorry for your loss and think it is beautiful that you are carrying out your promise, I'm sure nothing is easy with him gone but I think you will be suprised at the strength you have within yourself. Best wishes and feel proud of yourself