Has anyone here got their insurance to cover a tummy tuck?

Options
Hi. I am a mother of 3 children, plus I went through a MAJOR weight loss over the past 5 years, my stomach honestly scares me. :weary:

Sorry for the upcoming graphic information but I'm going to explain my situation. My stomach is very saggy/a lot of loose skin. It hangs down.

Since I have been at a steady weight for some time, I consulted with my physician and a plastic surgeon to get seek help. They both told me insurance will NOT cover anything of the sort and that procedures from weight loss is cosmetic and I would have to pay out of pocket in full, which I was quoted like 8k.

I am feeling hopeless so to speak. I don't understand how my insurance will not help me? I get rashes and infections from the skin. It really bothers me and I told my doctors about my issues. I just can't afford to pay thousands of dollars, but it's something I feel I need done soon.

I am sure there are people here who have gone through this and can point me in the right direction. Has anyone here been able to get skin removal surgery covered by insurance?

Replies

• bezlooney
    bezlooney Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    They will not cover it. I legally fought my insurance company for 3 years and couldnt make it happen. I ended up saving up the $10,000 it cost for a abdominal plasty and had it done in 2011.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options
    Having excess skin isn't a real health issue. Lots of women have saggy breasts and arms from loose skin and don't need mandatory health surgery. So it's an elective issue. Unfortunately if you want it taken care of, you have to fund it yourself.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • BellasMommy1212
    BellasMommy1212 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Oh, wow I didn't know it was like that. Well thanks for the replies... :unamused:
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Someone I know is having the tummy tuck skin removal surgery in August. She has Kaiser insurance and they are paying for it. She's lost approx 200 pounds and has significant loose skin on her abdomen. They also paid for her to have breast reduction surgery last fall. Her doctor has been noting in her medical records every instance of skin rashes, infections or fungal problems. Wish everyone could find a doctor like that one!
  • BellasMommy1212
    BellasMommy1212 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    @FitOldMomma Well maybe there could be hope for me. Thanks for the info.
  • iwantmydenimback
    iwantmydenimback Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Someone I know is having the tummy tuck skin removal surgery in August. She has Kaiser insurance and they are paying for it. She's lost approx 200 pounds and has significant loose skin on her abdomen. They also paid for her to have breast reduction surgery last fall. Her doctor has been noting in her medical records every instance of skin rashes, infections or fungal problems. Wish everyone could find a doctor like that one!
    this is great advice. document every problem you have that is because of or related to your skin. tears, rashes, bruising or swelling, infections, etc. if you can build a case to argue to your health care team that the excess skin is causing you harm, there is a much better chance to have a removal surgery at least partially covered by insurance.

congratulations on your loss and best of luck!