burned calories

Options
I am kinda confused shld i eat back the calories burned whil on a tread mill and if i do what is the point of doing cardio????? Thanks for the help

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Well if you read the stickies, you'd know the point of eating back exercise calories. But I'll explain it as best as I can.

You have your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure), this is the amount of calories your body needs to maintain its weight with exercise.

With your TDEE, you eat less than your body burns so you are in a caloric deficit. This causes it to lose weight.

As you are already in a deficit, you need to eat the calories burned through exercise as your body needs the extra energy from physical activity.

So yes, eat back around 50-75% of your calories burned through exercise to compensate for inaccuracies.
  • brockbennett1981
    brockbennett1981 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • brockbennett1981
    Options
    Everyone agree?
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Cardio is for fitness. Calorie deficit is for weight loss. MFPs target number already has your deficit built in. If you exercise, you have a greater deficit and should eat at least some to come close to that target number. This fuels your body for the extra work as the mfp number doesn't take exercise into consideration.

Most eat back only a portion back because exercise burns are often over inflated.
  • jopapgh
    jopapgh Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I eat back 70-80% of my caloric burn.
  • mwebster01
    mwebster01 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    you will lose more weight,and faster,if you don't eat back your calories.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    mwebster11 wrote: »
    you will lose more weight,and faster,if you don't eat back your calories.

But you may also burn out quicker and lose muscle if you aren't fueling your workouts
  • PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    As I see it, there are 2 benefits of exercise:

1. Better fitness. This leads to more energy, fewer aches and pains, more sex, overall better life.
    2. More Food! You get to eat more. You're not always hungry. And you can usually eat more and be happy without eating all of the exercise calories, maybe 50%. So it gives you a bigger deficit while being stuffed...double bonus.
  • brockbennett1981
    Options
    Thanks everyone for info