good form for abdominal exercises

Options
mom216
mom216 Posts: 287 Member
I just started going back to the gym. I have very little core strength. I have a good routines for cardio and legs. I am doing "OK" with the upper body routine. The last time I hired a trainer and performed abdominal floor exercises, I ended up in the hospital with a tear in my lower back. I would like some basic guidance. When an exercise says "contract" your abdominals, is that the same as pulling in your belly to look thinner? Any suggestions for standing abdominal exercises? I want to focus on the area between my belly button and pelvic bone.

Replies

• cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Getting on a good strength program that includes squats and deadlifting in some form will address core more than all the planks or hanging leg raises, etc....not that these don't have merit. In my opinion, doing these compound exercises, specifically with proper form, will work your core like nothing else and since you will be progressively adding weight (assuming you are following a good structured program), this will ensure greater strength than what bodyweight isolation like crunches or planks could afford. Part of the form of these is the "contraction" of the abs, which for all intent purposes is like you are about to take a punch to the gut. This is why you see lifters add the assistance of a weight lifting belt, so they have something to push there stomach out to as this is a weaker muscle group compared to bigger muscles like legs and back, so they need the belt's assistance to push to even heavier weights.

This is assuming you are medically cleared to perform these exercises due to your injury. So discuss that first with your Dr.
  • mom216
    Options
    Thank you! I am confused... Is the contraction - me trying to pull my belly in? Or if I use a weight belt, me trying to push out against the belt? I've never been punched in the gut. :)
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    mom216 wrote: »
    Thank you! I am confused... Is the contraction - me trying to pull my belly in? Or if I use a weight belt, me trying to push out against the belt? I've never been punched in the gut. :)

Sorry...think about pushing out your abs and tightening your front down to make them hard and flex them regardless of using a belt or not.
  • mom216
    Options
    Thank you I will give that a try. :)
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    mom216 wrote: »

Yes, do this. It engages your transverse muscles. These balance your rectis (6 pack).

BUT...you don't have to exercise them at all! Not directly, at any rate. :D Indirect ab exercises are better at increasing ab strength.
  • peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    The book New Rules of Lifting Supercharged has great core exercises.
    And there is this = http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/category/move/workouts/strength/core/