Richard Simmons anyone? no negativity please.

Options
2»

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I got partway through one of his videos once. I found him upbeat and intuitive. He knew exactly when I was going to start flagging. I think following his video would be fun.
  • YosemiteSquat
    YosemiteSquat Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my Richard Simmons videos!
    I use the Disco Sweat video almost everyday. It's a super effective cardio workout. I do Sweatin To The Oldies when I don't have much time to fit a workout in. I have a Fitbit HR and my average calorie burn with the Disco sweat workout is 526 calories. Calorie burn with Sweatin To The Oldies is 302. I've lost 17lbs. In 5 weeks doing this!
    I'm 43, 5'0" and 195lbs.
    I like the music and the encouragement!
    Hope this helps and hope you enjoy the videos!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I did them with my mom when I was a kid. He is a hoot. "Sweatin' to the Oldies", anyone?

Now I kind of want to do a Richard Simmons work out.
  • seachelle76
    seachelle76 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Used to do Richard Simmons workouts when I was a kid, back in the late 80s/early 90s. My mom liked him. I feel like everyone's mom probably has at least one dusty VHS copy of Sweatin to the Oldies somewhere :)

Ha, ha! That's probably true. My mom did. Between Jane Fonda, Richard Simmons, and Billy Blanks- that was variety back in the day when she wasn't at Jazzercise.

OP- if you like it and it motivates you- then go for it.

• spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    With all due respect, I don't think we can expect entirely honest feedback if we also tack on a rule like "No negativity, please." Such a restriction pretty much guarantees that only positive opinions are welcome.

Anyway, I'll offer both positive and negative opinions, and I apologize if this offends anyone. Richard Simmons will get people moving, and that's a good thing. He will doubtlessly help a significant number of people lose weight.

In terms of building a decent amount of functional strength and endurance, though? I don't see it happening with his methods. There's most certainly a place for fitness routines like his, but they're pretty limited in their scope.
  • chilliman64
    chilliman64 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    he made exercise fun, something which it often isn't
  • Guineagirl913
    Guineagirl913 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I just found his Disco Sweat on YouTube! It was cheesy and corny but I had a great time doing it! Do whatever is going to make you want to move. It's fun cardio!!!
  • elizabeth50inCalifornia
    elizabeth50inCalifornia Posts: 14 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    alyhuggan wrote: »
    eliseshute wrote: »
    So basically I'm just wondering if anyone has done/is doing Richard Simmons?

Word choice could have been better here hahaha

pretty funny
  • elizabeth50inCalifornia
    Options
    I remember sweatin to the oldies in VHS days. Kool, fun and it works. Enjoy it!
  • rachael00679
    rachael00679 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I love him. I think he is kinda groovy in an 80s fun kinda way and quite frankly if you can have a giggle whilst you get moving then that's awesome. Exercise is meant to be fun right!
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I did them with my mom when I was a kid. He is a hoot. "Sweatin' to the Oldies", anyone?

Now I kind of want to do a Richard Simmons work out.

Yeah, I remember doin "Sweatin' to the Oldies" with my mom too. Lol.

I saw a DVD version at Wal-Mart the other day and almost bought it for s**ts n giggles.
  • palmettoadventurer
    palmettoadventurer Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Oh, man, I'm having flashbacks to sixth grade gym class. But if it gets you moving, it gets you moving!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    Options
    I just watched some of his videos. They look like Zumba to me.