Gaining weight rapidly.Water weight or what?

Options
I had gone down to 125 lbs and now I'm 132 lbs.I put on 7 pounds in 3 weeks..
I would gain one whole pound overnight and then it won't go away,and after few days I would gain one pound all of a sudden again..
I'm eating as much as I always did (I've maintained and even dropped a bit eating like this in the past few months) and I surely,SURELY cannot be overeating 3000 calories in a day any way.
So the only explanation could be water weight..The weather is hot and humid,but how is it possible to retain more and more water? Is it even possible to gain 7 pounds because of it? Also,I think I do drink enough water.

I'm so frustated with all of this.Should I see a doctor?

Replies

• bcbgfitqueen
    bcbgfitqueen Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Are you eating 3K calories a day? Sorry if I misunderstood that lol
  • amayanw222
    amayanw222 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Could also be a thyroid so yes I would c a dr
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    It could be something you're eating doesn't agree with you and is helping to maintain the weight, check your food diary to see if you've eaten anything that has resulted in an increase within a few days, try narrowing it down that way. How many calories are you eating each day? 3,000 seems like a lot ...
  • drivenbonkers
    drivenbonkers Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    check your diet for excess sodium, and are you drinking enough water (the recommended 8 -8 oz glasses)

Those two things are what I check for first if I'm up a bit on the scale, especially if the weather is hot/humid.
  • unlockett
    unlockett Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. 2-3 lbs overnight. It's worse when I eat processed carbs. Very frustrating.
  • kariker
    kariker Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    She's not saying she eats 3000 calories. She's saying not eating that so she doesn't see why she's gaining weight so quickly.

Are you eating a lot of sodium? Maybe you're retaining water?
  • KrunchyMama
    KrunchyMama Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    When I eat bread (I often don't because it's a calorie bomb for me), then the scale usually jumps up about 5 lbs. So those gains I don't worry about, I just stop eating it and the scale goes back down. When I do strenuous activity that leaves my muscles sore, I also gain weight (I'm assuming this is water weight for muscle repair). If I eat at maintenance for a few days the scale also goes up (I'm thinking due to undigested food in my intestines).

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that there could be a bunch of different reasons why you've gained so much so quickly. If you haven't eaten a additional 24,500 calories ABOVE maintenance in the last three weeks, then I think it's safe to say that the weight gain is probably due to other reasons. Also, are you weighing every day? Maybe download a weight tracker app to see what the long term trend is for your weight, so you can get a better idea of what your weight is actually doing.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Have you started a new exercise routine?

Do you know how many calories you're eating (are you logging)?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »

^ This.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Dnarules wrote: »

^ This.

Double this.

It's so easy to retain water. You also don't gain weight overnight.

I ate 2700 calories yesterday, but due to exercise I stayed within my calorie goal for that day. However, since I ate a lot of salt, and I ate about 600 calories more than I usually do, and I challenged myself with some extra exercise yesterday just to see if I could do it, I stepped on the scale at three pounds heavier today. Sure, if I ate like that every day for the last three weeks, it could be some weight gain (TDEE averages at about 2150 a day, so 550 calories each day over TDEE x 21 days would be about 11,550 calories, and 12,000 divided by 3500 equals 3.3 pounds. So, it is possible to gain that in a small amount of time eating that many calories.

However, since I work hard to stay within my calorie goals most of the time and try to keep overeating to a minimum, I can rest assured that this morning's increase is water retention and will disappear in a few days, or a week or so.

Remember too, weight loss is not linear, and things like increased exercise, new exercise, overeating, TOM, and a whole lot of other factors, can cause water retention.

I advise you to make sure you are weighing your food, logging accurately (not underestimating food and overestimating exercise), and take it from there.

If you're worried too, you might visit your doctor.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,970 Member
    Options
    OP - have you started taking any medications recently?
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Given your current weight of apparently around 130 pounds, I would sincerely doubt that it's physiologically possible for you to gain 7 pounds of water weight absent some sort of acute undiagnosed illness (heart failure, lymphatic disease, malignancy, etc).
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Most of it must be water. Sudden, large weight gains always are. It is also possible to gain 7+ pounds of water. A few years ago I was in the hospital for 3 days having my appendix out. I went from 128 to 146 pounds in those 3 days and I don't think I ate more than 2000 calories total. The weight dropped back off pretty quickly, plus an extra 4 pounds, once I was back home.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,739 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    --were you low carbing and now you're not?
    --were you restricting your calories to below 1200 and now you're not?
    --have you been eating salty food and/or more food than you used to?
    --are your muscles "sore" from exercise? Have you changed how you exercise? Changed your activity level?
    --have you been going to the bathroom "productively"?
    --did you move your scale recently, was/is your scale on a soft/yielding or uneven surface, are the batteries good?
    --if you weigh yourself on your scale, hold a 5lb weight and weigh yourself again, is your scale weight 4.9lbs to 5.1lbs more? Put the 5lb weight down: is your scale weight now the same as before?
    --in addition to your weight issue, do you have any other recently introduced stress in your life? Are you sleeping well?
    --is it possible for some of this weight to be TOM related? How much does your weight normally fluctuate because of hormones?
    --any recent changes in medication/supplements?
    --pregnancy?
    --Is your weight increase accelerating or is it constant?
    --Go see a doctor: there exist medical conditions that could result in rapid significant weight change. Some not so bad, some not so good...
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    Most of it must be water. Sudden, large weight gains always are. It is also possible to gain 7+ pounds of water. A few years ago I was in the hospital for 3 days having my appendix out. I went from 128 to 146 pounds in those 3 days and I don't think I ate more than 2000 calories total. The weight dropped back off pretty quickly, plus an extra 4 pounds, once I was back home.

Yeah, but you were in the hospital and had appendicitis. She needs to see a doctor, possibly.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    If you have a digital scale, the batteries could be going.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Water retention, unless you ate an extra 24500 calories, which of course you didn't.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    Pregnant? :D