I feel like I'm almost there!

Options
Well I guess I'm only about 5 lbs until I reach a healthy BMI. I feel like I'm on the last lap, although I know that I'm not (still like 29 lbs away from my 'final' goal weight).

For those of you who have changed your focus, when did you do so? I just changed my calorie goal from losing 2 lbs/week to losing 1 lb a week (which in itself kind of feels like a milestone), and I want to start working on strength training now. I have quite a bit of muscle already; I guess I managed to hold on to a bunch of it while losing, and I've been doing crunches, pushups, leg raises, and the occasional Inanity video, plus carrying around my kids (35 and 45 lbs), but now I want to do more.

I guess I'm curious about how to proceed. I don't have free weights, but I am picking up a weight training machine from my parents house this week. I know it's not ideal, but it's all I have access to at this point. So if I'm weight training, do I eat closer to maintenance on those days? I don't do a lot of cardio on a regular basis, except chasing after/dancing with my kids (but I know enough to warm up before strength training). I've also been reading the recomposition thread a bit, I guess that's what I'm hoping to do now?

Replies

• Cydney0710
    Cydney0710 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm 5lbs off my normal BMI.. The first time I've ever been normal
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Congrats to both of you on 5 pounds to healthy BMI!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I base my weekly weight loss goals on this chart

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

not on my current weight.

As for weight training...free weights are best but barring that the machine will do.

with weight training it's like any other exercise...log it and eat back a portion of the calories.

With weights find a good starter program you can do with the machine or try New Rules of Lifting for women....any good program will have some form of warm up build in...barring that

http://warmupreps.com/

cardio is one of those things you do it if you want to.
  • KrunchyMama
    KrunchyMama Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    ^^ Yes, that's why I just switched my weight loss goals. I have about 29 lbs to lose until my 'goal' weight.

(Although my goal weight may be different if I'm lifting weights, I'm not sure. I'm 5'8", currently 167-170 lbs, with a goal weight of 140 lbs, but I'm thinking if I recomp then I may end up around 150-155 lbs)