Injured My Toe - Should I Hold Off Running?

cortezpj
cortezpj Posts: 129 Member
Around 10 days ago, I injured a toe (right foot, the one next to the pinky toe) when I walked full force into a chair at home while barefoot. It hurt pretty bad that night and the next day. It was only discolored for one day but then returned to the same fleshy color as the others. But the swelling is still there. I have some mild pain but it's not debilitating to the point where I can't walk. I'm having to alternate shoes during the day at work to minimize the discomfort. I'm able to move the toe along with the others without a problem, so I suspect it's not broken. I intend on going to my doctor if the swelling is still there later this week.

Here's my question: I've run twice since the injury. Other than a slower pace, there was no pain, discomfort or other annoying side effects. Should I completely hold off on running for a while? If so, how long? Other's experiences and feedback would be appreciated.

Replies

• jacklfc88
    jacklfc88 Posts: 247 Member
    swelling indicates there is still some inflammation around the injury. personally i would ease up until it heals completely. might be ok now but long term running with an injury isn't gonna be good for you.