tempted by pancakes...

Options
I go to a gym in a nearby hotel, always first thing in the morning (before I wake up enough to change my mind, lol!). This morning I walked in and it smelled like my favorite kind of breakfast - pancakes, sausages, coffee. So tempting! And that kind of breakfast is my ultimate in comfort food, to go to a funky diner with a good book, and sit around over a lovely sweet and salty breakfast - perfect!

I don't bring my wallet to the gym, so I couldn't give in to temptation this morning. But I thought about that, as I headed to the gym instead. I decided when I feel tempted by comfort food like that, I should come here and read blogs or discussions, or enlarge my MFP-friend community instead.

A better kind of comfort than pancakes and sausages, delicious as they are!

Replies

• JuliannaEP
    JuliannaEP Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    You can, and should, give in to cravings on occasion. What's a healthy body without a healthy spirit? For most days though, find a delicious healthy pancake recipe, like one made with almond flour, egg whites and banana... There are plenty of bad healthy pancake recipes out there, too. You just have to try until you find one that suits you! Good luck and great job on going to the gym!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    why can't you eat pancakes for breakfast?

There is nothing wrong with them....good source of energy, yummy and well filling breakfast...
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I make delicious pancakes.... Zucchini, egg whites, protein powder, oats, stevia, baking powder, vanilla and apple pie spice All whizzed up in a blender before cooking.

I use yoghurt and/or nut butter thinned out for "sauce" and top with fruit.
  • jvs125
    jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I mash a banana, two eggs, protein powder and baking powder together to make the most easy, delicious healthy pancakes.
  • mlittle50
    mlittle50 Posts: 7 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Try Kodiak protein cakes! You can purchase at Target. 14 grams of protein in one serving and they taste great!
    btw, they ARE pancakes. :)
  • SamZ10
    SamZ10 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My FAVORITE pancakes:
    1 banana
    2 eggs
    1/4 cup almond flour
    blueberries
    Dash of vanilla or almond extract
    YUM! The blueberries get all juicy and mushy so you don't even need syrup!
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I replace some of the Bisquick in mine with MetRx protein powder and use protein enhanced milk... And sugar free syrup. They are better than regular pancakes. And better for me.
  • SquidNebula
    SquidNebula Posts: 107 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with having pancakes on occasion. Moderation. It's all about moderation.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Food discussions DO NOT help me here on MFP. Often I go home and go on a baking rage. I have a great protein pumpkin pancake recipe that we dress up with yogurt and fruit. So good. Leftovers were gone within a day.

If I were you I'd forestall temptation and have a controlled pancake breakfast before going to the gym.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Pancakes tend to have an unfairly bad reputation because of the amount of butter and syrup so many people pile onto them. But there are plenty of ways to make them fit into your goals if you want them.

I eat mine with Greek yogurt instead of syrup these days. It works for me as long as I control my portions.
  • 460mustang
    460mustang Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Buckwheat pancakes - YUM
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    why can't you eat pancakes for breakfast?

I'm guessing OP has difficulty eating them in moderation.

• glimmersilver
    glimmersilver Posts: 50 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    LOL, I never expected all these replies to my post!

I've actually almost never made pancakes in my life, so I don't think I'll start now. And I'm not sure the issue here really is pancakes, either. It's about my feelings about the experience of going to a diner and having a big breakfast and hanging around drinking coffee. That kind of breakfast has always been an occasional part of my life, and an indulgence - something I started doing from time to time as a student. Something I'll do on the way to an important meeting when I have to step away and collect my thoughts by myself before going there. Something I would do with a friend en route to an excursion out of town in the country. Something I'd do with a lover, when the romance is still fresh. Something I'd do when I want comfort food and to indulge myself. The smell of breakfast in a hotel restaurant reminds me of all of those things.

None of which is to say that I shouldn't indulge a little occasionally. Right now, having just started here, I'm not actually that tempted to, but I do already eat plenty of sweet things - according to the MFP tracker, way too much! (Most of it fruit, and I ignore the tracker's warnings.) And if I do indulge, it won't actually be on pancakes, I don't think, I like other things better.

The appeal of a pancake breakfast for me is more the comfort of the whole experience, not pancakes in particular. And I still think I'd be happier reading posts here and reminding myself that I don't need to get that comfort from food.