Sprained ankle

Options
I just discovered running, I love it and I'm getting better and better at it. Until yesterday when I went over on my ankle and now I can hardly walk. The last time I sprained my ankle I was injured for weeks. Does anyone have any tips on how to speed up recovery? My running shoes are missing me.

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    See a doctor. Follow their instructions.

As you know, sprains can be mild or serious, and merit a week off or months. Don't run too soon and make the problem worse.

See a doctor.
  • Becky_charles29
    Becky_charles29 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I agree with the Dr.....I waited a week, felt it was fine, exercised and hurt my foot even more so was then off running for 4 weeks...probably doubling my recovery time. Best to be safe and get it checked over. In the meantime, you could focus more on your upper body/abs so you don't miss working out too much
  • starryeyedsnoozer
    starryeyedsnoozer Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Good advice xx
  • jacklfc88
    jacklfc88 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    ideally you want to be putting weight on it and getting mobility as soon as you can, so get some exercises from your doctor or even better book a session with a physiotherapist. it's worse to do nothing, unless of course that is all you can do!

• starryeyedsnoozer
    Options
    I can weight bear and I am trying to make sure j keep it moving, but also being mindful that I don't want to do too much. It's very annoying as it's taking me 3 times as long to get anywhere today. Not looking forward to hobbling around at work on it!l
  • jacklfc88
    jacklfc88 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I can weight bear and I am trying to make sure j keep it moving, but also being mindful that I don't want to do too much. It's very annoying as it's taking me 3 times as long to get anywhere today. Not looking forward to hobbling around at work on it!l

Yeah I know what you mean but there's a reason why docs/physios get you up and about on it as soon as you can. Just do some light exercises. What type of sprain is it? I have experience in these on both ankles, lateral and medial, so might be able to help with the exercises I was given on the numerous occasions I have done mine!
  • starryeyedsnoozer
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Yeah true. I'm actually married to a physio.... But he's less than sympathetic and Preoccupied with his own ironman training injuries! But if my poking around is correct then it was an inversion sprain of the posterior ligament. I'm no physio though!