meal befor or after gym?

Hi their, I'm of to gym at 7 for the first time ever!! Im wondering shel i have my tea an hour befor or after?:)
thanks for your help!! :)

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Doesn't really matter.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    I eat after I workout because I don't like the feeling of food jostling about. It's personal preference and has no impact on weight loss.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    I eat pre and post WO....
  • Vese52
    Vese52 Posts: 2 Member
    If you're lifting weights to build lean muscle it is important to have 20 grams of protein within 30 min after your workout.
  • demiashdown
    demiashdown Posts: 10 Member

Thank you! I think il snack befor then meal after:)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member

Thank you! I think il snack befor then meal after:)

Experiment to work out what works for you - this works for me when I workout at night. When I workout early (rarely!), I do it Fasted... Perhaps just a coffee!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Either, neither or both.
  • jacklfc88
    jacklfc88 Posts: 247 Member
    i have a small bowl of oats and a shake an hour an a half before training (i train after work) then my tea within 30 mins of my workout.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    leggup wrote: »
    I eat after I workout because I don't like the feeling of food jostling about. It's personal preference and has no impact on weight loss.
    This. Also never eat salsa before a workout, it's.... not pleasant when you burp....
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Vese52 wrote: »
    If you're lifting weights to build lean muscle it is important to have 20 grams of protein within 30 min after your workout.

False. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19478342?dopt=Abstract&holding=f1000,f1000m,isrctn

Some studies indicate that the timing of protein does benefit strength, but that the window for consumption is more like within 6-12 hours. Someone else can pull the citation for that.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    I usually do not eat anything before, but I probably should.
    I will eat a bowl of kasha golean, or have egg or something full of protien
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    There's no way that I could eat within at least a few hours of working out. I would probably vomit all over everything, and everyone.
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    edited June 2015

You hear so many different things, its hard to know whats valid or not. I've heard this is BS, and as long as you get your recommended protein intake in during the day, that's all that matters. Which is right?

As for eating before or after, try both and see what works best for you. I tend to prefer after, unless I go hours after dinner.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    leggup wrote: »

False. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19478342?dopt=Abstract&holding=f1000,f1000m,isrctn

Some studies indicate that the timing of protein does benefit strength, but that the window for consumption is more like within 6-12 hours. Someone else can pull the citation for that.

Yeah, there is still a bit of unknown on this subject-matter; there are arguments that suggest both are good. The best thing I can say is to worry about nutrition on the scale of what are you doing in the day and what are you doing within the week and worry less about minute-to-minute. Some protein before training can help amino acid breakdown which suggests it can help prevent some muscle catabolism. In-short, if you want to do it and it makes you feel better (mentally too), then do it; otherwise I wouldn't worry too much about the timing.