Pass the Butter!

Options
shelbyj72
shelbyj72 Posts: 184 Member
Pass The Butter .. Please.

This is interesting . .. ...

Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys. When it killed the turkeys, the people who had put all the money into the research wanted a payback so they put their heads together to figure out what to do with this product to get their money back.

It was a white substance with no food appeal so they added the yellow colouring and sold it to people to use in place of butter. How do you like it? They have come out with some clever new flavourings..

DO YOU KNOW.. The difference between margarine and butter?

Read on to the end...gets very interesting!

Both have the same amount of calories.

Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams; compared to 5 grams for margarine.

Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of butter, according to a recent Harvard Medical Study.

Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other foods.

Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few and
only because they are added!

Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavours of other foods.

Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has been around for less than 100 years .

And now, for Margarine..

Very High in Trans fatty acids.

Triples risk of coronary heart disease ..
Increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol) and lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol)

Increases the risk of cancers up to five times..

Lowers quality of breast milk.

Decreases immune response.

Decreases insulin response.

And here's the most disturbing fact.... HERE IS THE PART THAT IS VERY INTERESTING!

Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC... and shares 27 ingredients with PAINT

These facts alone were enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance)..

You can try this yourself:

Purchase a tub of margarine and leave it open in your garage or shaded area. Within a couple of days you will notice a couple of things:

* no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that should tell you something)

* it does not rot or smell differently because it has no nutritional value ; nothing will grow on it. Even those teeny weeny micro-organisms will not a find a home to grow. Why? Because it is nearly plastic . Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?

Pass the butter, please.

Replies

• mskisha1120
    mskisha1120 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks that was so informative did not know that. From this day forward I will no longer bur margarine!!
  • pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Can you tell us where you got this info? I'd like to share it with some people. Thanks!
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Oh my gravy.
    No more margarine.
    I think I'm gonna take it out of my bf's fridge too, kinda don't give a hoot what he thinks.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    You might want to clean it up a bit or just use a link to snopes. The comment about plastic is not true.
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    Pass The Butter .. Please.

This is interesting . .. ...

Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys. When it killed the turkeys, the people who had put all the money into the research wanted a payback so they put their heads together to figure out what to do with this product to get their money back.

It was a white substance with no food appeal so they added the yellow colouring and sold it to people to use in place of butter. How do you like it? They have come out with some clever new flavourings..

DO YOU KNOW.. The difference between margarine and butter?

Read on to the end...gets very interesting!

Both have the same amount of calories.

Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams; compared to 5 grams for margarine.

Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of butter, according to a recent Harvard Medical Study.

Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other foods.

Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few and
    only because they are added!

Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavours of other foods.

Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has been around for less than 100 years .

And now, for Margarine..

Very High in Trans fatty acids.

Triples risk of coronary heart disease ..
    Increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol) and lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol)

Increases the risk of cancers up to five times..

Lowers quality of breast milk.

Decreases immune response.

Decreases insulin response.

And here's the most disturbing fact.... HERE IS THE PART THAT IS VERY INTERESTING!

Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC... and shares 27 ingredients with PAINT

These facts alone were enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance)..

You can try this yourself:

Purchase a tub of margarine and leave it open in your garage or shaded area. Within a couple of days you will notice a couple of things:

* no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that should tell you something)

* it does not rot or smell differently because it has no nutritional value ; nothing will grow on it. Even those teeny weeny micro-organisms will not a find a home to grow. Why? Because it is nearly plastic . Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?

Pass the butter, please.

mostly true.... ;)
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Thanx for sharing. Very interesting.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    This is a true fact that in the 1800s several states mandated that margarine be colored pink in order to show that it wasn't "real food". Pretty sure this was due in part to protest by dairy farmers losing business. Regardless, I wish it were still pink because fewer people would probably poison themselves with it!
  • Soccer_Chick
    Soccer_Chick Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    This article regarding butter vs margarine is not completely accurate. Some of the nutrition facts stated are correct, but only in regards to stick margarine and older type products. There are so many new products that have been developed since this article first began to circulate back in 2003. These statements do not apply to I Can't Believe It's Not Butter and like products than contain no trans fats.

Margarine was not "invented to fatten turkeys" nor is it "one molecule away from being plastic."

Please research postings of this nature before reacting to them. As another member posted here earlier, Snopes.com is a great resource to utilize to further investigate items of this nature.

Thanks.
  • Soccer_Chick
    Soccer_Chick Posts: 204 Member
    Options