Struggling with calcium and iron

Options
I cannot seem to get enough calcium and iron in my diet no matter what I do! My meals normally consist of 1/2 veggies, 1/4-1/2 meat, and maybe 1/4 carbs during the day. However, I don't eat dairy. I'm taking a multivitamin but it only covers around 50% of what I need daily. Ideas?!

Replies

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Multi vitamin my friend. It'll fill that gap in your diet. Costs has a year supply for under $30
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Calcium isn't absorbed very well from multivitamins, but calcium from veg is supposed to be better absorbed than through milk (which is why all the old Chinese ladies don't suffer from crazy high levels of osteoporosis).
  • blwasson73
    blwasson73 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Dark leafy greens as well as fish like sardines and canned salmon are good nutrient dense foods that contain high calcium levels. I had low iron for years and took Healthy Blood supplements from Vitamin Code which seemed to help me.
  • coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue......Almond milk and tofu can help with calcium....also white beans have lots of calcium compared to other beans
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Spinach has both. If you don't like the taste add spinach and bananas or other fruit in a blender with a little water and drink it.
  • russellbrand69
    russellbrand69 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Blackstrap molasses has both - I have a tablespoon after breakfast, it's nice!
  • aliwood7
    aliwood7 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Super helpful :)