Working out with a Cold

Options
PhysicsOnIce
PhysicsOnIce Posts: 46 Member
edited June 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
How do you guys feel about working out with a cold?
I am not completely bed ridden, but have a work related trip starting on Friday which I can"t afford to be sick at. Is a gym session ( today would be a strength day ) a reasonable idea?

Replies

• Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    The gym is a horrible idea to spread germs to other people. I would just hydrate myself and rest is best. We had body lice go through my last gym which is why I changed gyms.. My new gym is relatively clean now and the bathrooms very well taken care of.
  • moglovesshoez
    moglovesshoez Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Take it easy, maybe a gentle walk or bike ride :)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Your gym mates will not appreciate you spreading your cold around. Stay home and rest. If you feel like you're up to a little strength work, do pushups, planks, etc. at home but it sounds to me like recovering in time for your trip is really your first priority.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If you were working out on your own and your cold is not in your chest you'd probably be ok, but going to the gym and spreading your contagion.....bad idea.
  • YolliB2014
    YolliB2014 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Don't go to the gym with a cold. You will spread your virus and I can't imagine anyone there working out to become and stay healthy, will appreciate that very much. Just put on your jammies, have a nice cup of hot tea and rest.
  • YolliB2014
    YolliB2014 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Don't go to the gym with a cold. You will spread your virus and I can't imagine anyone there working out to become and stay healthy, will appreciate that very much. Just put on your jammies, have a nice cup of hot tea and rest.
  • PhysicsOnIce
    Options
    Thanks Guys/Girls. Yeah recovering for my trip is the single most important thing at the moment. But I feel like If I don't work out now the next two weeks might be ruined, because I know next week will be very hard for me to sneak in a workout, and between conference dinners and going out with colleagues i am terrified of back tracking the small process I have made.

I totally understand the whole not wanting to get anyone sick though, thanks for the reminder. I"ll definitively stay away from the gym.
  • Dani9585
    Dani9585 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    If I'm really sick, I don't have the energy to work out. I would avoid the gym, but maybe do some stuff outside.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Thanks Guys/Girls. Yeah recovering for my trip is the single most important thing at the moment. But I feel like If I don't work out now the next two weeks might be ruined, because I know next week will be very hard for me to sneak in a workout, and between conference dinners and going out with colleagues i am terrified of back tracking the small process I have made.

I totally understand the whole not wanting to get anyone sick though, thanks for the reminder. I"ll definitively stay away from the gym.
    Aim for maintenance while on your trip. The hotel should have a gym and you should have a little time to hit that either later in the evening or early in the morning.
  • PhysicsOnIce
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    Aim for maintenance while on your trip. The hotel should have a gym and you should have a little time to hit that either later in the evening or early in the morning.

That"s my plan. I am actually trying to see if I can take a bike from my hotel to the conference venue ( 6.5 km), which would guarantee that I at least get some exercise.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    You'll get more exercise value / calorie burn walking to the conference 6.5 km away than you will biking. Bring a pair of walking shoes to change into for the trip there and back.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    typically, i always work through it. I seldom get sick, and when I am it makes me feel better to get a decent sweat.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I normally don't say stuff once it's already been said by multiple other people, but I'm doing so in this case because it's that important.

Don't go to the gym sick. There is no reason to infect other people. Take a few days off, get some rest, heal up, and get back to it when you're well.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    What all the others said about spreading germs. As far as the work part though, in general if the symptoms are above the neck you can usually exercise. It sounds like you got a good plan now PhysicsOnIce!! <3B)