Problems with Polar FT4 Heart Rate Monitor

Options
I'm hoping this is the correct category for my question. I've had a situation happen to me twice with my Polar FT4 HRM, and I'm wondering if anybody else has had this issue. What is happening is the HRM is not recording, so when I am done with my workout I do not receive the calories burned, nor is anything recorded to my Training Files. Both times that this happened, I made sure that I pressed the "OK" button once to obtain my heart rate, and then a second time to start recording. I contacted Polar after the first time this happened, and their answer was basically operator error - that I must have had the monitor in "pre-train mode" rather than "train" mode. It happened again today, and because I've had issues before, I've been making sure to be very attentive to the display. I pressed the OK button once then waited for it to display my heart rate, which it did in fairly small font size. Then, I pressed OK again, and it displayed my heart rate in large font. I checked it periodically to make sure my heart rate was still displayed, which it was, and occasionally the watch beeped. So, when I was done with my workout today, I pressed the Back button to pause, then again to stop. Instead of giving me my calories burned, it just went back to the clock display, and when I checked the training files there was nothing for today. It is not displaying any sort of battery warning, and I've only had it for six months, so I wouldn't think either the watch or the sensor needs a new battery. But, who knows how old the batteries actually are, since they came with the monitor. Has anybody else had this issue, and if so, what was the fix?

Replies

• krupskaya
    krupskaya Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have the same HRM but not had that problem. It sounds faulty to me, I think you should attempt to return it for a replacement.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Have you washed the strap? you should wash frequently on a cool wash. Checked your positioning of the strap and that the sensors are damp when you start?
  • yskgrr
    yskgrr Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yes and yes. I hand wash the strap with warm soapy water after every workout and get it wet before strapping on. It's reading my heart rate just fine...it's just not recording to the training files. Oh, and this doesn't happen every time. It's worked fine for weeks, including for my workout on Friday. Then today had the issue. So it's not consistent.
  • JenEMac10
    JenEMac10 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I know this post is a little old but....I've had my FT4 for at least 5 years now and love it. Never had an issue until recently. I've found older posts going back to 2012 where everyone suggested washing the strap...sad to say I've never washed mine...yuk right