running and humidity

Options
mbaker566
mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
As a beginner at running, I've been lucky enough not to have to deal with all the humidity of summer. But it is here. And it is awful.
How does one keep running when the air is so heavy? I was doing well and now I've had to take it back and take extra breaks.
Do we get used to the humidity eventually?

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,515 Member
    Options
    Depends. I currently run after sunset and at temperatures around 105F/40C. If the air is dry I'mnot doing well because I get dehydrated without the cooling effect of sweating. I do better when it's humid as my sweat doesn't dry as soon as it leaves the pore. My running is much less good than it was at lower temperatures though. But once autumn comes I'll be brilliant! and finally finish C25K.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are drinking plenty of water, wear moisture wicking clothing, and do a jog walk pattern. I also find going early in the morning or later in the evening is much more enjoyable. Good Luck and Have Fun
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Taking breaks is good. You should also slow down as heat will make your heart rate rise, so your old pace is too fast in the heat. Keep plenty of fluids in you, and electrolytes are good too for longer sessions where you lose a bunch through sweating.

You can acclimate to it, but you will STILL be slower. You just won't suffer AS much.

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    You just keep going and slow down when you need to. It helps a lot to run out of the sun too.
  • jwheez73
    jwheez73 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you live in the Midwest or South, you'll pretty much just have to deal with the humidity!! LOL. I try and go running about 8 pm or later when it's really unbearable outside. The sun is starting to go down and it's not quite as bad. I recommend carrying a water bottle with you to keep you hydrated. I only run in my neighborhood and can swing by my house to get a quick drink and then finish my run. They make packs that you can wear around your waist that hold water. For me the less I have to carry the better when I'm running!
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Slow down drink a lot. Also try and run at cooler times I like early morning
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Expect to be a lot slower.

And as long as it's not a thunderstorm or a heavy downpour, I love running in the rain. I sweat so much, it doesn't really matter. I'm just as drenched when I get home either way. ;)
  • las07s
    las07s Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    My first time running in a high humidity/high heat environment, I wore non-wicking clothing and set out from the house at approximately 6:45 am. I ran 5.5 miles before I realized my sweat wasn't evaporating and my heart was racing. I ran the rest of the way home and promptly passed right out on the living room floor. I woke up 2 hours later... oops! :neutral:

I say wait until near or after sunset and wear that moisture wicking clothing! I find the humidity (in Florida, at least) is better in the evening than in the morning and my body can regulate heat better.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    All of that ^^^ . Drink lots more, run in the early morning or later when the sun is setting, try to run where there is shade and not out in the sun, slow down, proper clothing, bring a water bottle with you to drink or keep your head wet with. Remember the signs of heat stroke....
    • High body temperature. A body temperature of 104 F (40 C) or higher is the main sign of heatstroke.
    • Altered mental state or behavior. ...
    • Alteration in sweating. ...
    • Nausea and vomiting. ...
    • Flushed skin. ...
    • Rapid breathing. ...
    • Racing heart rate. ...
    • Headache.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I got a back-pack hydration thingie. The one I got is not a camelback (because $), it's called a gooseberry. I love it. I can bring a full liter on my runs.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I live in Florida, I do my walking at 6 am, a lot cooler, still humid but not as bad.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    As a beginner at running, I've been lucky enough not to have to deal with all the humidity of summer. But it is here. And it is awful.
    How does one keep running when the air is so heavy? I was doing well and now I've had to take it back and take extra breaks.
    Do we get used to the humidity eventually?

You do what you've already done. Slow down, stop and walk if you get overheated. make sure you stay hydrated and your body will keep adjusting.

• VeggieStef
    VeggieStef Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Agree with the slow down, hydrate advice. Don't be hard on yourself just keep getting out there. In the fall you will be happy you stuck with it and it will feel easier once you have braved the summer :smile:
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Yeah, opposite happens in the fall. All of the sudden you are super fast!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Yep. Just seconding what's already been said. Run early, stay well hydrated, accept that you will be slower and reap the benefits in the fall!
  • jasonallenross
    jasonallenross Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    In addition to the other advice above, I wear a RoadID on my shoe. It has my name, wife's name, phone number and a phone number that a first responder can call to get my medical history.

I also carry my phone on long runs/rides so I can call someone if I'm out in the sticks miles from home and it becomes apparent that I'm not going to make it back home under my own power. The weather can change, you can have a "bad day", equipment problems, etc.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    I'm not getting very far. just 1 mile at 5am on weekdays and 2or 3 on weekends.
    Thank you for all the helpful advise. It was just feeling like I was breathing thru a blanket this morning.

I also love running in the rain. thunderstorms included. downpours not as much because wet shoes suck

I bring my phone as that is is my fitness tracker. I haven't gotten roadside id but I do have my DL with me.

haven't started bringing water yet. not feeling overheated. but I'm sure I will come july and aug
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Just chiming in with everyone's advice. I live in Houston, so heat and humidity is a regular issue here. I run earlier in the morning, or later in the evening. My pace is a lot slower. I make sure I'm hydrated before a run and re-hydrate after. I also enjoy the fact that fewer people are out running, so the park is less crowded and I feel a little like a bad@ss. ;)
  • mbaker566
    Options
    there is some badge of courage being awake and running albeit slowly at 5am
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I moved to the desert to get away from humidity but we have the edge of a hurricane sitting over us and it's really really (relatively) muggy (AND it won't rain at all). I even felt it in my living room this morning, a regular short workout had me pouring sweat and I almost fell asleep during the stretch afterwards.

So my advice is move to the desert, I guess :p