Breastfeeding and weight loss

Options
jess31187
jess31187 Posts: 7 Member
Hello everyone! I'm a new mom to a beautiful 4 month old. I had hoped breastfeeding would make the weight "melt" off, as I heard. I'm not so lucky, as my poor eating habits from the past have crept back in and I've only lost about 20 lbs since having baby. To be back aty pre-baby weight I need to lose 30 lbs. I'm a little nervous about restricting calories too much since it might mess with my milk supply. Any other mommies, breastfeeding or not, want to team up and keep each other motivated? Can't wait to meet you and get our bodies back!

Replies

• nickibowen
    nickibowen Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water!!!! And by four months you probably have your supply established. I would also recommend feeding on demand to increase your supply. I started losing weight back in December and joined mfp prob 2 months later. I've lost 50 lbs total and about 30 while on mfp. My baby is now 10 1/2 months old and still nursing on demand. I haven't had a supply issue. Good luck to you.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    5 lbs per month is awesome. Keep doing whatever you are doing :) Breastfeeding does help with weight loss, assuming you are eating as you would prepregnancy. If you eat more, you will not lose. It looks like you are losing, but 50 lbs left after delivery is not a small amount and cannot be lost overnight. It took 9 months to gain this weight, it will take at least this much to lose it. Be patient.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I wrote this up a little bit ago, hopefully it will help you:http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10176233/gaining-weight-during-pregnancy-and-losing-it-post-partum

Congrats on your baby!
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    When I was breastfeeding I felt as though my body held onto the fat a little more than when I decided to lose weight without crazy hormonal fluctuations and whatnot. It's been a long time, though. Just don't rush yourself too much and remember you are still providing nourishment for your baby which is more important than a few extra pounds in the long run.