carb junkie

Options
I hear everyone complain they crave sweets and chocolate. I never crave those but I always crave bread...sandwiches. .pizza. they are really making it hard to reach my goals.. any ideas what I can do to curb these cravings. Water doesn't help.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    If you crave bread etc..eat them in moderation. I crave cake or pie or tarts etc...sweet starchy carbs so I eat them in moderation...however I Have found that chocolate is a good substitute...

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I love carbs, especially the cheesecake versions. ALL things in moderation.
  • dtw44
    dtw44 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Don't get me wrong, I love a good cake, but my real issues are pasta, pizza, etc. It has been really hard, especially since I am supposed to be eating low glycemic foods, but one thing to do is to try to find substitutes... spaghetti squash is delicious, and lettuce wraps are really good too! Again, once in a while, treat yourself, but just have a portion and log it!
  • MzLaLa29
    MzLaLa29 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I love sammiches! I have one almost every day. I try to do my carbs before I leave work so I can burn the calories before bedtime. I don't know how advanced you are in the kitchen, but I've seen a recipe for a pizza using mashed cauliflower as the crust. You could try to make a healthy version of these foods so you can still enjoy them. But if you like fries, just eat the fries. Healthy fries suck. Did someone say pop tarts? MMM... lol
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I get this. Bread is my favourite food, and it took me months to be able to trust myself eating it without going nuts and eating a huge amount of it. I still ate other starchy foods though as I had no issues with them. I can trust myself now with bread in moderation but I do have to exercise a lot of willpower when going down the bread and cake aisle in Tesco!

I'd say try substitutes when you can, and portion out your bit when you eat the real thing. Portion it, then out the rest away immediately. I find pre-logging can also help keep me accountable. You got this!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I hear everyone complain they crave sweets and chocolate. I never crave those but I always crave bread...sandwiches. .pizza. they are really making it hard to reach my goals.. any ideas what I can do to curb these cravings. Water doesn't help.

I would suggest switching to higher fiber versions and try to always eat them with protien. Fiber and protein should help you feel full longer.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I love carbs. I eat 225 grams of carbs per day. I eat sandwiches. I eat pizza. I don't gain weight because these things easily fit into my goals. I'm not sure why it's a problem to like carbs. You can eat carbs and still reach your goals. Trust me - I did it.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I avoid the foods that I have trouble resisting for just a little bit. Then when you come back to them in a few weeks then maybe you can eat smaller portions of them to keep them within your calorie goal for the day. I've done that with popcorn...something I use to eat by the bag full. Now I can finally go to the movies and split a medium popcorn with no problems. Also you'll notice on your diet that your stomach will shrink. So if you leave them out for a few weeks your stomach will have shrunk a little bit more and you won't be able to binge on them so much.
  • ashleypetrie4
    ashleypetrie4 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way.. carbs are my weakness. Especially pasta. I still crave it from time to time, but what I found helped me the most was eliminating 95% of added sugars/artificial sweeteners from my diet altogether. I hardly have any cravings at all now, but it's taken me a long time to get to that point. It's a work in progress, always!

Snacking throughout the day, or "grazing" helps me to not get too hungry (which is always when cravings will strike); almonds, fruit, veggies with hummus, stovetop popcorn, and plain, full-fat greek yogurt with berries are some of my favorites. I keep my meals and snacks evenly spaced to keep my blood sugar level steady all day.

Worst case scenario, I allow myself to have what I'm craving and just move on. It's important not to deprive yourself or beat yourself up over eating something you feel like you shouldn't or eating too much of something. All food can be fine in moderation. Try to remember that it's persistence, not perfection, that will help you see results (: