Looking for the best protein powder

Options
I have heard that Whey Protein is the best for equalizing blood sugar and also evens out food cravings and helps build muscle after your workout is finished...is there something better? Am I looking for too much? I'm really not that demanding...I just want my protein powder to perform.

Replies

• bcbgfitqueen
    bcbgfitqueen Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Muscle Feast whey protein isolate is the best in my opinion. There are no fillers or artificial flavors/colors just pure protein and natural flavors if you get the flavored powder. Getting protein from whole foods is probably better but it's really hard to get the amount of protein you need to build muscle from just food. I mix the powder with either whole milk or Trumoo vanilla plus milk after a workout.
  • comeongethealthyro
    comeongethealthyro Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    you don't NEED protein powder to perform... it's just a supplement... however, I do like using protein powder in my oatmeal & waffles. I see a lot of people bake with it, as well!
  • comeongethealthyro
    comeongethealthyro Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    the one I've been using for a year now is Dymatize Iso-100... low carb/fat & quality ingredients. Birthday cake is soooooooo good!
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Annnnnnnd OP is gone forever. bye bye OP.
  • Spyer116
    Spyer116 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Protein powder doesn't do any of that.
    It adds protein to your diet. End of.

Any satiety or prevention of cravings isn't from whey, or any sort of protein powder. Its from having something in your stomach, and your digestive system working on processing/digesting that - ie protein in this case, that is making you satisfied / full / not hungry. Eating anything at all solves that. drinking more water also sometimes solves it since thirst feels the same as hunger in many cases.

Equalizing blood sugar isn't what whey or protein does. Equalizing blood sugar is done by either
    - not eating sugars or carbs that break into sugars quickly
    - eating complex carbs which are slow to digest and don't instantly break down to sugar
    - Eating a meal with decent amounts of protein, fat, and/or fiber to slow digestion which in turn stops any big blood sugar spikes from rapidly digested simple carbohydrates.

Protein doesn't build muscle. Not protein powder. Not creatine. Not amino acids.
    Not as it is.

Working out / lifting heavy / causing tiny micro tears in your muscles are primarily what builds muscle. It stimulates your body to break down the damaged cells, and rebuild them - but also to adapt, by building more muscle tissue.

Protein - amino acids which is what it breaks down to - is the building blocks for muscle to be built.
    But you could eat 500 grams of protein every day and not build a single gram (not even pound) of muscle. Not without lifting heavy / doing proper strength training.
    Whey protein powder does nothing that eating eggs, meat, high protein vegetables, dairy, or anything else already does.

What whey is - is convenient. That's it. Its protein. Nothing different to what you'd get from drinking milk, eating cheese or eggs or chicken or anything else.
    For women, anything from 70-100 grams of protein / day is more than enough, unless you're already a big / heavy size and/r muscular, then you'll need some more.
    For men, 100-130 is enough for most.
    nothing wrong with getting more than that. I'm small enough yet go for 150-170 most days, but even 50-70 grams of that isn't providing any additional benefits.
    Also you will NOT build muscle unless you are eating at a surplus. In most cases.
    If you are losing weight, then what you will be concerned with is eating enough protein, and working out to maintain what muscle you currently have.

Protein powders are convenient both for time/size wise (protein shake can be ready in what - 20 seconds? regarding time wise, and size wise its just a quick 200-300ml drink.
    Also convenient calorie wise. 100-110 calories for 22-24g protein in a good protein shake. If you were needing extra protein for your day, but didn't have many calories spare.

The best protein powders - don't exist - in the sense that they do anything that every other protein powder on the market does. What you want to look for is just a reputable brand, that are selling real protein powder (there were some companies/brands either not using any protein at all, and just selling like placebo/nutritionless powders, or others lying about the protein and just scimming on what they put in so instead of having like 22grams per 25 gram of powder like almost all claim, some only had like 5-15 grams of protein)

Also the differences between the powders are minimal enough too. Whey digests faster than Casein by like 2-4 hours, that's it. You have a whey protein powder shake, and eat food (fruits or porridge or anything at all) with it, and its digestion slows down to the same as casein, give or take.

Optimum Nutrition, GNC, Musclepharm are some reputable brands in the states as far as i'm aware.

If you're in England/Ireland, MyProtein don't ever rank as "the best" protein powder on the market. BUt they always rank in the top 5 or sometimes as low as the top 10 brands regarding quality.
    But they always 100% rank the best price wise. I've yet to find a good quality protein powder, or any protein powder at all as cheap as MyProtein's (they usually have 20-40% sales too on it). But I don't know if MP delivers to the rest of europe or worldwide.