Keto / Low Carb HELP

Options
Lor213
Lor213 Posts: 5 Member
Hello everyone, I'm a 27 year old female on her 4th week of the ketogenic/low carb diet. I feel stuck and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Over the last two weeks I've been doing a ton of research about the ketogenic diet to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Since I started four weeks ago, I've lost 2lbs. I'm 5'1, 158lbs (BMR 1502calories). I've been eating 1300-1400 calories a day with my macros being 80 P/ 20-30 net C / 109 F. I also go to crossfit 3-4x per week. The first week I also lost an inch off my hips and a half an inch off my waist. Since then no changes. I bought the ketostixs to double check myself for ketosis and I've been anywhere between trace amounts and moderate amounts of ketones.

After doing research, I'm thinking I'm either not getting enough salt or its what I'm eating/not eating (ie fat intake needs to increase, dairy needs to be eliminated, lower my net carbs, more water)

Any suggestions would be helpful. I'm trying to stick it out and not get frustrated. I'm hoping to just tweak some things and everything will fall into place.

Replies

• arachnofobia7
    arachnofobia7 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My best friend was on keto/buletproof diet for 6 months and guess what, she didn't lose anything. She followed it to the dot yet it proved to be useless for someone with some vanity pounds to get rid of. Since then she moved to MFP and calorie counting, it helped her to shift 10pounds within 3months. I believe that for people who are slightly overweight the weight loss is rather less spectacular comparing to those with serious obesity. In another words, don't worry too much about being in ketosis, CICO is all what you need and along with some excercise routine you should soon see the results, just be patient and consistent. Also the MFP community is very motivational and will provide you with wealth of information on pretty much any aspect of weight management, fitness and nutrition. Good luck:)
  • Lor213
    Options

Thank you for the advice :) . I agree, I figured the weightloss would be less spectacular for someone who only needs to lose 20-30lbs (slightly overweight). I'll stick it out for another month and see what's happens. I feel amazing though thus far and my hunger/cravings are significantly less than I ever imagined.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Lor213 wrote: »
    Hello everyone, I'm a 27 year old female on her 4th week of the ketogenic/low carb diet. I feel stuck and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Over the last two weeks I've been doing a ton of research about the ketogenic diet to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Since I started four weeks ago, I've lost 2lbs. I'm 5'1, 158lbs (BMR 1502calories). I've been eating 1300-1400 calories a day with my macros being 80 P/ 20-30 net C / 109 F. I also go to crossfit 3-4x per week. The first week I also lost an inch off my hips and a half an inch off my waist. Since then no changes. I bought the ketostixs to double check myself for ketosis and I've been anywhere between trace amounts and moderate amounts of ketones.

After doing research, I'm thinking I'm either not getting enough salt or its what I'm eating/not eating (ie fat intake needs to increase, dairy needs to be eliminated, lower my net carbs, more water)

Any suggestions would be helpful. I'm trying to stick it out and not get frustrated. I'm hoping to just tweak some things and everything will fall into place.

I'll send you a PM. But first, I'll say: I don't think you're eating enough. If your BMR is 1502 and you work out you should be eating much more than 1300-1400. Carbs or no carbs, you have to eat enough!
  • Lor213
    Options
    Ok I will try that :)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Unless you feel dizzy or light headed salt is ok, sometimes you need more in your diet on keto.

I make your BMR 1389 on this site's calculator, such equations are +/- 10% at best.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Unless you feel dizzy or light headed salt is ok, sometimes you need more in your diet on keto.

I make your BMR 1389 on this site's calculator, such equations are +/- 10% at best.

That would make her intake a bit better...