problem with aldi meats

Options
Hello,

Products from aldi say '100g (as sold)' so am i right in thinking the 100g value are uncooked? However, how accurate is this? Because cooking reduces the weight of most foods significantly and i tend to favour tracking cooked foods

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    So use a usda entry for cooked meat.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    99% of the time you should be weighing uncooked if you want to be as accurate as possible.

You also might be shocked how much 100g varies per package.
  • AlexEtheridge1996
    AlexEtheridge1996 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    So use a usda entry for cooked meat.
    I think that is probably the best idea tbh :)
  • AlexEtheridge1996
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Right, ok thanks. I just presumed weighing foods (meat) after was more accurate because I dont eat uncooked meat (lol) and uncooked food isnt just purely meat.
  • AlexEtheridge1996
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    99% of the time you should be weighing uncooked if you want to be as accurate as possible.

You also might be shocked how much 100g varies per package.
    Thats true. Different products from different supermarkets are significantly different. I.e. some have more fat etc

• mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Weight it uncooked.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Products from aldi say '100g (as sold)' so am i right in thinking the 100g value are uncooked? However, how accurate is this? Because cooking reduces the weight of most foods significantly and i tend to favour tracking cooked foods

The value is uncooked. That said, I generally use generic entries for meats (unless you're talking about hot dogs or sausage??).

One thing about Aldi--you know those 16 oz tubes of ground beef/turkey? I always weigh those because they are usually more than the package claims. But I always use the recipe builder for that anyway.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    p5kz53g9k1tx.png

I just use that entry regardless of whether the meat came from Aldi, Publix, Winn-Dixie, etc
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Yep to all the above. As you point out, meat loses a lot of moisture (weight) as it cooks, and how much depends on how and how long it cooks. On the other hand, meat's nutrient composition won't change too much. Hence, two pieces of meat that weigh the same raw and have the name nutritional content can have a ~50% weight difference depending on how cooked. That's why raw weight is more accurate.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I weigh meat raw before cooking.