Weight Gain After a Massage?

Options
Sunday morning I had a massage. I normally go every 5-7 weeks, but this time it had been closer to 10 weeks between massages. I started counting calories 9 weeks ago, so this was my first massage since tracking CICO.

I 'gained' 3 pounds between Sunday morning and this morning. Now, I know I did not consume 10,500 calories above maintenance yesterday, but this is the first morning that I've had the scale increase more than a half pound or so.

I understand weight fluctuations, but I was not expecting a huge increase.

Has anyone else had this happen?

Replies

• jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    It's probably water related. I know when I've had massages, they told me to drink a lot of water afterwards. I'm not sure why, but I guess you're proof that somehow the body must retain fluid after a massage. Drink more water and you should get back to your normal weight later this week.
  • lalangela
    lalangela Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I'm not completely freaked out. I know it's water weight, but I wasn't expecting such a huge increase. And, I know I didn't hit my required water intake.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    It sounds stupid, but I've heard that the absorbtion of the massage oil can make the scale fluctuate temporarily? I have no idea though apart from maybe the extra water consumed?
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm sure it's just water retention. I get a 60 min. deep tissue massage once a month. Since I go regularly I don't have any issues most of the time, but every now and then I do. Just give it a few days to pass.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Most likely water retention.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    If deep tissue massage is effective it must force the body to try to repair itself

And what happens during muscle repair? Yep that's right ...water weight

But dagnammit...now I want a massage
  • lalangela
    lalangela Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Well, I was hurting when I was done, so my body is most definitely trying to repair itself. But dangit, the scale going up stinks! ha
  • shinisize
    shinisize Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    It's water weight. Massage works metabolic wastes out of the muscle cells and into the intercelluar spaces. Your body then draws water into the area to flush the wastes out through the lymphatic and circulatory system. If you don't drink water to help flush the 'toxins' (I absolutely hate that the industry uses that term), you will feel like you were hit with a flu by the next day--some people will even get a fever that makes them sweat heavily. The more often you get a massage, the less dramatic the effect will be. Also, some forms of yoga will have a similar effect, so you will likely notice the effect much less if you do yoga regularly.