Knees hurt?

Options
Hello

So I have lost about 18 lbs so far on my
Journey and suddenly over the last week my knees have been really bothering me. I haven't exercised like crazy and I don't remember injuring them. Just one day I woke up and my left knee was really sore, and now the right one is joining in on the fun. Has anything like this happened to anyone else?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    Several medical professionals think it was using the leg extension machine that messed up my knees. I had no pain at the time, and wasn't using that much weight, and had been working with a trainer. If you haven't been using this machine, what have you been doing?

Don't use that leg extension machine in the gym

VR1-Leg-Extension_13050.jpg
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Some times but usually only if I haven't stretched as much as I should. I do take Glucosamine Chondroitin and that helps my joints to feel better.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Do you lift or do cardio?
  • Heydew
    Heydew Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I was doing the 30 day shred but had stopped due to a upper respiratory infection. But they didn't start hurting till a few days later. I have barely exercised since they started to hurt just because of the infection. Maybe the lack of exercising and stretching?
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    If your knees hurt, I can only really advise going to see a doctor if the pain persists for another week.

Do stretches, foam rolling, hot and cold bathing in the mean time?
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Well, not that this would really help you but when I started my journey, I did only cardio and my knee started to hurt after 3 months. Because of that, I switched to lifting and the pain subsided after 2 weeks. Squats really helped.
  • Heydew
    Options
    I have an apt soon with my doctor for a follow up anyway.... Just was curious if it may have happened to anyone else.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Could be too much sodium in your diet, happens pretty quick if you've been eating an excess of processed foods. Some medications will cause fluid retention too and tends to strike the knees or other areas that might be weaker on your body.

I'd say try some gentle exercises and if it's painful to seek medical attention.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Heydew wrote: »
    I was doing the 30 day shred but had stopped due to a upper respiratory infection. But they didn't start hurting till a few days later. I have barely exercised since they started to hurt just because of the infection. Maybe the lack of exercising and stretching?

It's not uncommon for the pain to kick in a few days later. Did you do the modifiers for beginner or lower impact?

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3K7LR0E24A2FD/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00127RAJY&channel=detail-glance&nodeID=2625373011&store=movies-tv

The cardio is good as well: a lot of jumping, so watch those knees (she has a modifier for beginner and lower impact)
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Several medical professionals think it was using the leg extension machine that messed up my knees. I had no pain at the time, and wasn't using that much weight, and had been working with a trainer. If you haven't been using this machine, what have you been doing?

Thanks for sharing that link... it makes far more sense, really glad you shared the article. I very much remember using that one and it increasing my knee issues.

My old gym had one like the photo you shared.. my current gym has a leg press. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTCkwpOPawi6Y0LZCN-kAfcbE6yG4HzK1EahNaTx-M_VDtkNx5x
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

I've heard so much about the 30 day shred being hard on your knees. You can always skip the part that bothers you and add other thing.

Many many threads from the past on the knee issues doing the 30 day shred. You might want to take a look in the search feature and rethink the video usage.

Hope you get to feeling better :) Ice, ice, ice.... worked out earlier and have some on mine now. ;)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I frequently find my aches and pain come a day or two later.
    some aches aren't unusual but pain should be considered a stopping point, rest, talk to a dr
  • TiffanyR71
    TiffanyR71 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have good footwear! My knees and ankles used start bothering me every year as weather warmed up, then I finally put 2 and 2 together- flip flops and other flimsy footwear can do a number on your joints!
  • Heydew
    Options
    Thanks everybody! It's not horrible pain as it is more aches. But I have two small children and when I got to pick them up I really feel it. Hopefully it will heal soon. I did do the modified version and I feel I do pretty well listening to my body so I don't think it's an injury. Thanks for all the input though! And I just bought some new shoes yesterday so maybe that will help as well.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have. I'm training for a 10K and it's pretty discouraging!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

VR1-Leg-Extension_13050.jpg
    While the leg extension machine does put force on the knees, your injury from knees may be due to bad training. Think about it, if the leg extension machine is so bad, then why is it a staple in knee rehab?

If your position is wrong, then excessive force is being put on the knee. Your knee should first line up with the pivot point on the machine. If it's further forward of the pivot point, more leverage is needed to extend and even lighter weights end up being heavier than what is stated on the plate.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    This might also explain it. Lots of people squat incorrectly even though they think they are doing it right. Half and quarter squats put more tension on the knees than doing a full squat correctly. Not uncommon for me to hear knee complaints from people who do 30 day shred.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

30 day shred screwed my knees for a month

I didn't wear proper shoes cos it was in my house on the carpet

Big lesson learned...it can be high impact
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Just noticed you're fighting an infection

It is very common for joints to ache whilst the body's defence mechanisms fight off whatever ails you

Just think of how achey you get with the flu