Help With Late Night Snacking

Options
GalaxyPants
GalaxyPants Posts: 16 Member
edited June 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
For some reason the whole day I do so well with food and exercising but then late at night all I feel like is scoffing icecream, biscuits, cereal and toast. Does anyone know where this stems from? I guess I'm a little stressed at the moment, but this late night binging is destroying any progress I should be making! Help??

Replies

• mmcguire876
    mmcguire876 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am the SAME way! I generally eat same foods/dishes for most meals so my calories are roughly the same every day but I tend to be a big snacker in the evening (ice cream, Cheez It crackers, and popcorn are my biggies). I actually found that since moving in with my boyfriend back in January my evening snacking has gone down considerably. I still eat a small dish of ice cream most nights but no more eating out of the carton, and whereas a box of crackers would last 1 week or less, that same box now lasts 4+ weeks. I think part of it is I'm so embarrassed about the binges that I don't want him to see me eat like that, and also I'm not as bored in the evenings as I was when we weren't together. Doing an activity helps, like reading, doing puzzles, and taking an evening walk/bike ride.
  • Bizurke51
    Bizurke51 Posts: 190 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    For some reason the whole day I do so well with food and exercising but then late at night all I feel like is scoffing icecream, biscuits, cereal and toast. Does anyone know where this stems from? I guess I'm a little stressed at the moment, but this late night binging is destroying any progress I should be making! Help??

Well you have a few options

1. throw out whatever it is that you binge on until you learn self control

2. Learn self control and budget around your snacking. Decided ok I want 2 cups of ice cream tonight, add that into MFP and then build your meals from there

3. find subs for these snacks, instead of chips or whatever you're eating, go for carrot sticks or popcorn. Popcorn is awesome if u get the 100 calorie bags
  • opalle
    opalle Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I hear you. For too long I would skimp eating during the day, eat a large dinner and then snack at night. Mostly all unhealthy food, chips, ice cream, chocolate etc. I've only been at this since Friday and haven't snacked at night since, but I'm having a hard time going to sleep. It's like my stomach won't let me unless it's full of yummies. Really hope this passes as my body gets use to eating 3 healthy meals a day.

I have the opposite problem with the boyfriend. Almost all the weight I've gained came after he moved in. He likes his treats at night but he has a labor intensive job and way higher metabolism so he doesn't gain a pound. It's hard to not eat when he is eating all this stuff and it's on the coffee table in front of you.

I agree that doing something else helps a lot. Also drink water. Plus, if you plan for the calories, it's okay to have a snack. Just keep it small.
  • jasonallenross
    jasonallenross Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I find that brushing my teeth when I'm done eating for the day helps to keep down on snacking afterwards. It's like the "brush your teeth before bed" habit overcomes the "eat just one more thing because I'm bored" habit.

I also know there are certain "weakness foods" I can't keep around the house. I'll get them once or twice a month as a treat, but I'll buy them in such an amount that they will only be around a couple days. I know if I have a stressful day at work or if the kids find my last nerve and stomp on it, I'll be going right after brownies/cookies/ice cream if they are around. I keep fruit around instead if I want something sweet, it can help to "redirect" the "stress -> sugar" habit.
  • mrsloganlife
    mrsloganlife Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    For me it is just a habit. I snack and my body knows when it is time to appear in the kitchen. It is so subconsciously done now that I will blink my eyes and wonder how that rice pudding appeared in my hand and why half the container is already gone.

I started hanging a sign on my fridge door--right by the handles so I have to move it aside before I open it (I need to do that to my pantry too). One side says 'Open--what are you eating today?' and the other side says 'Closed--will be back at 8 am' It is a good reminder for me as I start to move it of what I am doing. Honestly it has helped some, but I still find times where I push it aside. I challenged my husband to keep me accountable, and vice versa. Last night I got up in the middle of a movie and walked into the kitchen, ignored the sign and reached for a cupcake from our housewarming party. When I closed the door he was standing behind me--and I immediately put the cupcake back.

It's a hard habit to break--8 pm strikes and all I want is something sweet from the kitchen. So instead I might sip a small glass of lemonade or if I really want something, I try fruit. Or I cut my sweet portions in half so I can still get the subconscious trigger that I got my sweet snack, but I am not sacrificing my calories, weight for it. Plus waking up in the morning without the guilty 'OMG I can't believe I did that' feels so much better :)
  • nyponbell
    nyponbell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    One problem I have is that I have days when I don't have a plan laid out already - and then I end up making food choices that, even if they might be ok at the time (and sometimes they aren't) they don't leave me enough calories at the end of the day. So I am actually hungry for real (in which case I do eat something).

And then, of course, there are the days when I will derail a totally awesome food day with chocolate in the evening. And lots of it.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I always save calories for a treat between dinner and bedtime. I know I'm going to want it so I account for it. I also portion it out so I'm not eating from the Costco sized bag of cheese and caramel popcorn that will somehow become empty so quickly. The trick is to stop when you've eaten what you've allotted yourself.