How accurate is map my fitness

Options
i have gone on a run tonight and map my fitness is showing that I ran 7.15km. However, I ran the same route a few weeks ago and it was just over 5km. The only thing I have done different was run the route the other way round. Is anyone else having problems recently with map my fitness mileage logging?

Replies

• jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I had issues with it for months, then realized in my app store that I was supposed to update it, and I think the issue has been resolved.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I had a similar experience. At first I wasn't sure if MapMyFitness was wrong or the prior app I had been using (iCardio). I have since tried Endomondo and Strava and both of those match up well with the old iCardio app. So from my experience MapMyFitness overreported, saying I ran further than I really did. It is also the only one that is wildly different from the other three apps.

For what it's worth, I've heard many say that it's your phones GPS that calculates the distance, not the app, so any fluctuations are the fault of your phone. This makes a lot of sense but I am sure this is not 100% accurate. I have been logging for the last 3 weeks using both Endomondo and Strava simultaneously on my runs and they do not perfectly synch up (but close). For 3 six mile runs last week I went with the Strava distance, stopping right when Strava announced I had reached 6 miles. On each run Endomondo reported a little less mileage (5.91, 5.98 and 5.97 miles). So apps do have some sort of difference, not sure why.
  • sourpower434
    sourpower434 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Yes! Last night my usual 2 mile run was only .55 miles according to map my run, think it's because GPS signal dropped out though...
  • kittynat
    kittynat Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I only use it because it links with mfp so is convenient that I don't have to transfer the information over. Plus I can have "friends" on it. I may have to try a couple of apps at the same time to see how accurate it is. Either that or go on my bike with my bike computer to see how far it actually is.