Working mums! We can do this!

Options
As a Ft working mom, my baby is my priority but I am slowly suffering. I have major guilt when I workout in the evenings. I can't I the mornings as we are still breastfeeding. What are other moms doing?

Replies

• linzee32
    linzee32 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    My baby is 9 now so I drag her with me to the gym or on a walk.
  • melholmes80
    melholmes80 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I wait until after my little guy goes to bed then go out for a walk. Makes for a longer night, but I try to get in at least 3 run/ walks a week. If your little one is still small enough, go for a stroller walk after dinner...that way you'll decrease the guilt by doing something together.
  • leleti01
    leleti01 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies! Such great ideas.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym at 5 am while my son is still asleep. I workout in the evenings after he is in bed. I want to spend as much time with him as possible since I work all day so I workout around HIS schedule.
  • charlenelynch
    charlenelynch Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I just had my second son :) i workout when he naps and im able to get a full 1 hr workout! My schedule is tight and packed but i squeeze cardio in when I can. Im off now before he wakes!!
  • spatulamom
    spatulamom Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm having a hard time finding time to work out with my son, too - granted, he's older (8), but my husband works late hours and my gym doesn't offer childcare. I'm considering joining the Y or another gym nearby since they offer childcare. Since it's now summer vacation and he's hanging with my mom in the afternoons, I could probably get away with picking him up a little later a couple of times a week, but he's been asking to go to my gym with me, so I'd like to belong somewhere that he can play while I work out.

I can't do mornings because well, I suck at waking up :).
  • jvs125
    jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I commute to work by bike, or go for a run during my lunch break. If I can't do that, I'll do a workout dvd or indoor cycling on my spinning bike for 30-45 minutes in the morning before they're up. What you could do if you have to workout when you're home and baby's awake, is take him with you in the stroller either for a jog or for a bike ride. My kids always loved that!
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I work full time and have 3 kids. I go to the gym either during my lunch break if I can fit it in, or at night when I get my kids to bed.

I've also tried to incorporate activity into time with the kids. I go with the kids on bike rides, pulling my toddler in a bike trailer, or go for walks and push her in her stroller. I also have a weight bench and weights at home, my two boys like to work out with me with those (light weights for them). And I have a treadmill for times when it's rainy/snowy outside and I just don't want to go out.

I know it's hard fitting time in for working out, but you have to make time.
  • amillenium
    amillenium Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 4:30 or 4:45 and work out then
  • scary_mary73
    scary_mary73 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    This is something I struggle with as I am a single mum who works full time and has 2 kids. My ex only has the kids every other weekend so I don't have much time without them. We do go for walks in the evening sometimes but I need to do more.
  • CajunLady29
    CajunLady29 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Currently I am doing workout DVD's when I get home from work. Or if it's not raining I'll get in the pool and do laps, play volleyball with my kids or throw the tennis ball with these water proof velcro mitt things we bought for the pool. It's not enough exercise though, and I need to find a way to add more. I'm barely getting 4000 steps in (of course I can't bring my phone in the pool so no tracking what I do in there).
  • foreverminexoxo
    foreverminexoxo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My son (5yrs) works out with me, we do a lot of cardio and Zumba. He loves to dance and in the evening when we're doing that, my husband watches our daughter (1yr) while we go running but she does join us when we do Zumba in my living room lol
  • leleti01
    Options
    Love the support and ideas working moms... I am friending you all! I need to win this time
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Mine are 1.5 and 3.5 and my husband and I enforce an early bedtime (7) and after that one of us would go the gym while the other did the housework (dishes, lunches, cleaning). We alternated. Then we bought some weight equip for the house and now we can work out together. I commute by bike for cardio. This only works tho because we have the help of an awesome nanny and she makes dinner for us - really helps with early bedtimes. I start at 7 am so mornings are not easy for me. Nights aren't easy either but seem better...plus twit cuts down on post dinner snacking.
  • leleti01
    Options
    Some serious scheduling and planning Andy! You are right if I want to make it I have to be intentional. This means I have to be prepared to win! Thanks for the insight to your lives ladies!
  • QuallyLeShay
    QuallyLeShay Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Workout dvds saved me while my boys were breastfeeding! It was hard to do much else because I still needed to be with them if they were up for a feeding. Both nursed on demand so it was interesting. Lol. There's such a variety of them you can really get a hard core workout without ever leaving the house now.