What is your favorite protein powder ?

Options
nevi74
nevi74 Posts: 2 Member
edited June 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I'm having a hard time finding protein powders that taste good, without the funky after taste. I've tried Walmart brand, Target brand, and Dymatize ISO-100. Thanks so much for your suggestions!

Replies

• palmettoadventurer
    palmettoadventurer Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I get a custom mix from True Nutrition, which isn't the cheapest option, but works out well for me. You have total control over the ingredients, so you can eliminate whichever element tastes bad to you.

(I'm lactose-intolerant and on a medically-required low sodium diet, though, and it's hard to find protein powders that work within those bounds and don't taste terrible.)
  • nevi74
    nevi74 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you !
  • spiralated
    spiralated Posts: 150 Member
    Options
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard whey
  • stelbell
    stelbell Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For the last few years I've kept a can of Almased in the house. It's got no real flavor to it -- so you can make it taste however you want. I will use almond vanilla milk, cinnamon and chia seeds. Tastes kind of like horchata. Or mix in unsweetened cocoa powder for something chocolatey. The BF gets a fruit shake with Almased in it. It just gives everything a creamy flavor.

www.almased.com
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Optimum or Syntrax Cappucino
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Trutein. Hands down. But, not all flavors are equal. I'd suggest looking for trial sizes for things that sound good; it's not worth it to waste money on the huge tubs when you don't like how it tastes or mixes. Speaking from experience here...

ETA: Personal favorite flavors of Trutein are cinnabun and peanut butter marshmallow cookie. Chocolate mint tasted just like thin mints at first, but the the mint was super strong, and so it almost felt like I'd just brushed my teeth after I finished it. And I have friends who hate these flavors, so it really is just personal preference really.
  • duckgirl969
    duckgirl969 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I really like Dream Protein brand, I've only tried the Dutch Chocolate but I love it, no funky aftertaste. It's $32 for a 30-serving canister on Amazon. It's whey protein; 86 calories, 20g of protein and 3.4 g carbs per scoop.
  • jonleoni
    jonleoni Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Cellucor Marshmellow Peanut Butter is prob the best tasting protein I've ever had!!!

http://www.gnc.com/Cellucor-COR-Performance-Series-WHEY-Peanut-Butter-Marshmallow/product.jsp?productId=17166736

• bulk_n_cut
    bulk_n_cut Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    vhl4layto0pg.jpg
    1.jpg 190.9K
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    What flavor are you looking for?

Do you usually mix with milk, water, or something else?
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Body Nutrition's Trutein. My favorite flavors are Chocolate Mint and Red Velvet Cake. Also like the banana and Cinnabun. I'm not a PB fan so I haven't had any PB flavors, but I heard they are good as well. Trutein has a fantastic profile (high protein, not a lot of carbs/fat)....offers 3 types of protein that digest over 6-7 hours in measurable amounts (unlike other triple protein blends that offer a proprietary blend, without telling you how much non-whey you're getting)....tastes great when mixed only with water (if it doesn't mix well with water, I don't want it....no sense adding calories to my protein mix just to be able to drink it). Sold at bodynutrition.com and usually can be found cheaper at bodybuilding.com. As someone suggested, you can order samples from bodynutrition.com for $2 per sample (tax/shipping included). That's a great way to try flavors that sound intriguing without buying a lot of it. Also, in terms of pure whey, I like Body Nutrition's Iso-Ology Chocolate. Hard to find a better protein profile and it tastes great.
  • Drdisney
    Drdisney Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Body Fortress Chocolate .. 30 g of protein + 170 Calories/scoop and is cheap $17 US per 2+ lb can. It tastes ok. I drink it right after workouts so I usually just guzzle it down followed by a couple glasses of water so I don't really notice the taste that much.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I mostly put it in my coffee, and I've been really liking the myprotein cookies & cream. http://us.myprotein.com/home.dept I like Optimum Nutrition's double rich chocolate. You should read this. http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexmorrell/2015/03/12/lawsuits-say-protein-powders-lack-protein-ripping-off-athletes/
  • swipingallday
    swipingallday Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Any feedback on pure protein canned shakes? It has 36 grams of protein
  • mordant57
    mordant57 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Genepro. Completely flavorless!
    Also, if you have a Vitamin Shoppe around you, they have sample sizes of almost everything there. Get a bunch of single servings and see what you like.
  • Edoras77
    Edoras77 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My favourite is Muscle Pharm Combat Powder, it's gluten free low sugar and tastes delicious.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    Everyone in here always recommends either 1) the absolute worst tasting, 2) the popular highly marketed choice, or the 3) gluten free, all natural, organic, flavorless, colorless, odorless, choice.

Those people all have zero clue about protein powder. Sad to say.
  • bulk_n_cut
    bulk_n_cut Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    Everyone in here always recommends either 1) the absolute worst tasting, 2) the popular highly marketed choice, or the 3) gluten free, all natural, organic, flavorless, colorless, odorless, choice.

Those people all have zero clue about protein powder. Sad to say.

how's the view from up there on your high horse of elite supreme proteinopia?
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Body logix brand. It tastes good mixed with water.