Ideas to keep water cold?

Options
Hey everyone!

I am looking for ways to increase my water intake, but have a problem keeping my water cold. I am a social worker and basically use my car as an office, so I have no way of really keeping water cold during the day. I tried to fill up my 24 oz Tervis tumbler and freeze it solid, but then halfway through the day my water is already melted and warm. My other option is to keep buying bottled water from the store, but that gets expensive. Any ideas on how to maintain nice, cold water through the day? Thanks so much!

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Freeze more bottles and keep them in a cooler.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Fill the bottles you plan to drink about at increasing levels of fullness. Say you have 3 bottles. Fill one 1/4, and half full and one 3/4 full and freeze. In the morning top them off with water and put them in small a cooler in your car.

The ice will be melting though the day, keeping your water cool. Just drink the bottles with the least ice first.

I use them smaller version of these reusable bottles in my daughters lunches and like them.
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Kleen kanteen makes awesome insulated bottles. I have had ice floating in it after sitting in an unattended car for 6 hours in 90 degree weather. Not sure how hot it was INSIDE the car.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I'd buy a cooler for my car and a bunch of those ice pack things you can freeze to keep the inside of the cooler cold. Or buy one of those lunch bags that you freeze and keep your drinks in there. The one my son uses can fit probably 6 water bottles in - I've never tried but it could hold several. For extra coldness put in the ice pack thing too. The zip top kind will keep cold longer than the fold over kind.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions have already been given. I'd just get a small cooler to keep in your car and freeze multiple bottles.

Alternatively, or additionally, depending on the type of area you cover, if there are fast food places or convenience stores handy you can ask for large cups of ice. Some places you may have to pay, but if you bring your own large plastic cup most of the time you can get ice refills for free.

I HAVE to have my water ice cold, so I'm the weirdo in the fast food drive-thrus that only orders ICE!
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Thermos makes a drinking bottle. I put ice in it at 7am and I still have ice in it at 8 pm after being out and about in the car all day. It's double walled so it doesn't sweat. I found it in the Automotive Department at KMart.
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    They sell little fridges powered by your cars A/C power input. Pretty nifty if you wanted to invest. May save you $ if you don't have to buy lunch all the time.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    I'm sure Yeti overcharges for something that fits the bill...
  • engakwasdky
    engakwasdky Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    These are all great ideas, thank you so much! Yes, I saw two Yeti cups at Gander Mountain that were grossly overpriced... But, as with the idea of purchasing a cooler, it may end up being an investment. I do like the idea of a cooler more, though, because I can have larger cups of water with me. The idea of going to get ice from gas stations and restaurants is also a great idea. I appreciate it everyone! :)
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Bubba mugs. I used to work in a factory that when it was 90 outside it was 110 inside and I would still have ice after an 8 hr shift. They are expensive but, I feel worth it. You can also do a cooler with ice packs.
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Probably not of use to the OP, but sort of on topic.

If I want to cool a drink quickly, I wrap it in wet paper towel and put it in the freezer. 5 minutes later its just perfect!