Chicken Breast Size Question

Options
Pea4jjab
Pea4jjab Posts: 216 Member
I almost always buy the Great Value (Walmart) boneless skinless chicken breasts in the 5 lb. bag. Does anyone know how much the average chicken breast weighs in one of those bags? Also, when I log it in my diary, do I put the raw weight or the cooked weight?

Replies

• JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    i need to know too
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    Take the total weight of the bag and divide by the number of chicken breasts. It won't be perfect for each breast but it will be close.
  • bcl003
    bcl003 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Oh let me know too!! I eat these all the time!!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    YOu'd have to count the pieces in the bag and divide to get the average, my box of chicken breast says it contains between 12 and 15 pieces (based on the weight of the individual breasts used to fill it)

I weigh all meat raw... look at a menu at (almost) any restaurant they specify very clearly that the 1/4 lb burger refers to UNCOOKED weight, cooking style will change how much water comes out of it so it can affect the weight.

Edited to fix... menu = / = recipe
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Put the cooked weight, not the raw weight. Those breasts are usually about 5 or 6 ounces. I've been buying the breast tenderloins because their cooked weight is usually about 1.5 ounces each.
  • dspearsb
    dspearsb Posts: 186
    Options
    Normally chicken breast is 4 oz raw and 3 oz cooked. Hope this helps!
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Pick up a $10 food scale while at walmart :flowerforyou:
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I suggest getting a scale. That's on my things to do after work today. I am tired of guessing!!!
  • lijparsons
    lijparsons Posts: 258
    Options
    I've neer seen those bags, but if the bag is 5lbs, you could just divide that by the number of pieces there are and get the weight per chicken breast. When you are weighing/logging meat you use the raw weight.
  • Bridget0927
    Bridget0927 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    The below is according to the website:

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 112 G
    Servings Per Container 12
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 120Calories from Fat 25
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 3 G 5
    Saturated Fat 0 G 1
    Trans Fat 0 G
    Cholesterol 55 Mg 19
    Sodium 370 Mg 15
    Potassium 220 Mg 6
    Total Carbohydrate 0 G 0
    Dietary Fiber 0 G 0
    Sugars 0 G
    Protein 22 G
    Vitamin A 0
    Vitamin C 0
    Calcium 0
    Folic Acid 0
    (-) Information is currently not available for this nutrient.

* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:**

** Percent Daily Values listed below are intended for adults and children over 4 years of age. Foods represented or purported to be for use by infants, children less than 4 years of age, pregnant women, or lactating women shall use the RDI's that are specified for the intended group provided by the FDA.

Calories: 2,000 2,500
    Total Fat Less than 65g 80g
    Sat. Fat Less than 20g 25g
    Cholesterol Less than 300mg 300mg
    Sodium Less than 2400mg 2400mg
    Potassium 3500mg 3500mg
    Total Carbohydrate 300mg 375mg
    Dietary Fiber 25mg 30mg

Calories per gram:

Fat 9·Carbohydrate 4·Protein 4
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Take the total weight of the bag and divide by the number of chicken breasts. It won't be perfect for each breast but it will be close.

You are to smart !
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    4 oz is the size of a deck of playing cards.
  • H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Some of those boobs are huge & I can't eat the whole thing anyways....but if I don't weigh it, I guess... I think they say the size of your hand (no fingers) is 3-4oz. Unless you have big hands :P
  • MeolaCharles
    Options
    Serving size of chicken breast is 6oz raw, 4oz cooked. I also buy in bulk but I trim the chicken to fit my serving size, any small chucks left I use to make a chicken soup or I stirfry it with vegetables (still keeping in mind the serving portion). Some of those breast could equal as much as 2 portion size servings, so weigh it raw to 6oz.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I invested in a food scale and it was the best thing I could have done. It takes all the guess work out of cooking and counting calories. I use it every day.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    Also if the bag weight is in pounds you will need to convert it to onces (1lb = 16oz).

Bag Weight x 16 = bag weight in onces
    bag weight in onces / number of breasts = weight of 1 breast in ounces
  • Pea4jjab
    Pea4jjab Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Thank you soooo much everyone! You are all so helpful! I actually do have a food scale, but all my chicken is frozen right now and I was just planning out the next few days so I was curious :)
  • muriah2
    muriah2 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I really need a food scale!
  • GrampsWooha
    GrampsWooha Posts: 184
    Options
    did somebody say boobs?? huh where......waaaaaait a min...........where am i
  • H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    did somebody say boobs?? huh where......waaaaaait a min...........where am i
    hahaha....my bad. That's what I always call them :bigsmile: So childish, I know....but don't care!