Using myfitnesspal with a Microsoft Band

Options
asmass
asmass Posts: 4 Member
My daily calorie goal is 1870 calories per day. Today i have consumed 1,032 calories -700 exercise= remaining balance of 138 calories? My microsoft band shows that i have taken 2,354 steps today, as result -700 calorie adjustment? i just don't understand why i'm getting a -700 adjustment for 2354 steps and have almost no remaining calories left for the day? Someone please explain, as this is very frustrating.

Replies

• CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    As far as I can understand it, MFP assumes that you will walk so many steps per day even if you set it to sedentary. If you walk less than those steps (as I always do), it will take calories away from you.

I've disabled negative adjustments on MFP to avoid this, but I've no idea if there is a better solution.
  • CurlyCockney
    Options
    Forgot to add two things, sorry! I don't have a Microsoft Band, but the same things happen with my Withings Pulse Ox, and also I'm losing weight even with disabling the negative adjustments.
  • asmass
    Options
    thank you very much for your feedback. For some reason, I can't find on the myfitnesspal, how to disable the negative adjustments? i've looked everywhere? any help you can provide me would be greatly appreciated.
  • CurlyCockney
    Options
    Settings>Diary Settings and it's at the bottom of the page
  • asmass
    Options
    i don't see it at the bottom of the page?gxnvf33k8mc7.jpg
  • CurlyCockney
    Options
    How strange, there's a category called Calorie Adjustments underneath Meal Names on my screen.
  • asmass
    Options
    I know it's very strange?
  • CurlyCockney
    Options
    Hopefully someone will come along with advice as to where it is for you :-)
  • rjsnau
    rjsnau Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I believe it has to do with what activity level you have set under goals. MFP estimates your calorie burn based on your activity level. Higher activity level means MFP will estimate a higher calorie burn for the whole day. If you don't burn that many calories then you will get a negative adjustment (if you have it set to do negative adjustments. I set my MFP goal to Sedentary because that way it estimates my calorie burn basically as if I sit most of the day and just take about 2500 steps all day. Then if I go to the gym or exercise it adds in the calories because the MFP goal is set so low.

It really doesn't matter at the end of the day if you set your activity level higher but then you would want negative adjustments to be turned on for the days you aren't as active. For me it is motivation to go to the gym and see the extra calories as a reward rather than know I have to go or loose calories. Positive vs negative re-enforcement.