Vegetarian-how can I increase protein

Options
Hi I am struggling with really low ferritin levels at 6 but someone mentioned I could be tired from too little protein too. I have input my food onto mfp today and I am 50 grams short. I had weight loss surgery so meat makes me sick and I can only cope with small amounts of quorn. Any advice gratefully received x

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Beans, lentils, beets.

Vegetarian protein; soy protein, pea protein etc
  • bulk_n_cut
    bulk_n_cut Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    protein powder..
  • shivasgirl
    shivasgirl Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I had a lap band so I feel your pain, literally. Greek yogurt and eggs are my best friends
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Quinoa, millet and amaranth. They all have 6 to 8 grams of protein and 200-250 calories per cup when cooked. It's not a lot in itself but it helps add more to your day.

You mentioned meat but do you have the same problem with fish? Fish of all types is high in protein.
  • teanahk
    teanahk Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Seitan (wheat gluten)? 10 grams of it has about 7.5 grams of protein so you wouldn't need much to boost your protein a bit. Protein powder smoothies are also probably a good idea.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I should also mention that protein powder is a good option. Most of them are made from whey protein but there are even plant-based, vegan protein powders out there.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My go-to after surgery was Premier Protein from Costco, with 30g in a single container. I echo the advice of others to use protein powder. I like Vega One. This is for emergencies. My dietitian encouraged me to eat "normal" foods as I was able and I pretty well eat a regular diet now. I've pretty well replaced milk with Greek yogurt as I don't drink and eat in the same meal and I like the bigger protein hit.

I'm worried about that iron level. Pretty well the highest vegetarian sources are bran buds and bran flakes. How about those in the morning with the Greek yogurt. And I hope you are taking a supplement.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    One bit of advice for post-surgery patients that I ignored was to "eat protein first". I understand why they say so. They are concerned we get enough. But I find a big lump of protein in the stomach just does not sit well, and I can't take in as much if I just try and eat one thing. If I take a small bite of my salad, a bite of my carb, and a bite of my protein, I was able to take in a lot more of all three.
  • wrealmusic
    wrealmusic Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    There are many options for plant based protein. I ran across this link that may help: http://nutritionstripped.com/10-plant-based-proteins-eating/
  • jillyrose0711
    jillyrose0711 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Vega One makes a yummy protein shake that I have always found easy on my stomach. You could also mix up a big batch of rice or quinoa with beans or lentils and flavor it with whatever seasonings or sauces you like
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I'm anemic and need to supplement to get my iron counts up to low normal. There are many different forms of iron and the presumably cheap ones I got from the VA didn't work for me. I take Iron Bisglycinate, which comes in Veggie Caps. I was really, really tired when I was taking the ineffective supplement and finally figured it out when my housemate complained about me shedding hair all over the place.
  • druorleans
    druorleans Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have a whey protein shake in the morning with fruit (bananas, raspberries, blueberries), blend it up with some ice and water. I've also started eating cottage cheese. Dinners, seitan, gardein chick n, morningstar chik patties, crumbles, tofu, chikn nuggets, mixed in with veggies and rice and beans or tacos, etc. I wasn't getting enough and had to start doing the protein shake, on days off when I have more time, I have eggs for breakfast. Oh and swiss cheese.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    I hope you don't take offense to someone flat out saying this, but perhaps you should rethink your diet and eat like nature intended... As an omnivore.

...Especially if it's a medical issue.
  • TrailBlazinMN
    TrailBlazinMN Posts: 209 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    I hope you don't take offense to someone flat out saying this, but perhaps you should rethink your diet and eat like nature intended... As an omnivore.

...Especially if it's a medical issue.

I think you missed the part about the OP feeling sick from eating meat.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    teanahk wrote: »
    Have you tried Seitan (wheat gluten)? 10 grams of it has about 7.5 grams of protein so you wouldn't need much to boost your protein a bit. Protein powder smoothies are also probably a good idea.
    This, expensive if store bought but cheap and easy if you buy vital wheat gluten and make yourself. It is low in Lysine so combine with something like soy or but lysine supplements.

• coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Silken tofu smoothies....lots of protein in the tofu.....u can make fruit smoothie or chocolate smoothie or green veggie smoothie or whatever u lime.....

And any other kinds of beans are.good too....bean burritos are simple

• musicminx
    musicminx Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Almased or yokebe shakes
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    protien powder to the rescue. Lots of great ones on the market.