tracking more than diet and exercise ???

Options
Does anyone know of a site like MyFitnessPal that includes other vital tracking elements. For example being fit also includes regular tracking of vital stats like heart rate, blood ox, blood glucose, urine output, ... As important as food data are supplements taken like vitamins, minerals, nutriceuticals. Very important for many are pharmaceuticals. Being able to track and display in charts and graphs more than diet, exercise, and body measurements would be very helpful. As major diet and exercise regimes take effect self examination of addition or withdrawal of supplements, nutriceuticals, and pharmaceuticals is key to understanding ones 'fitness.'

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have very specific requirements. Your best bet is likely to be a speadsheet.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Can't say that I know of one. I imagine widespread use of an app that tracks those biometrics would be somewhat unlikely given the difficulty/expense of measuring some of that on a regular basis.

Assuming this a serious inquiry, I think I would be inclined to just use a spreadsheet as suggested.
  • rg1949
    rg1949 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Spreadsheets are an entirely different animal from database applications like MFP. MFP already provides a large array of trackable items. Users here pick and choose what to enter.. it's very convenient and effective. Adding an additional few trackable categories would seem to be a very simple process for MFP which is a very smoothly operating interface. Hopefully there is a similarly excellent more all purpose health and fitness tracker site out there, so far I haven't found it. Hence my question here.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    How in the world would one go about measuring such specifics on a daily basis?

Perhaps consult your physician to see if they have any recommendations.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    Most of the items you listed don't need to be pulled from a database; they're straight data entry. I mean, you don't really need to do a lookup to enter heart rate, blood oxygen, blood glucose, urine output, etc. You just need to type them in so that you can analyze them in some way. Spreadsheets are really good for that.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    The Withings Healthmate app and website tracks all those things, but I don't know if you can use it without the Withings equipment.
  • rg1949
    Options
    Health monitoring devices are very available, inexpensive, and excellent. For example a fingertip pulse oximeter can be had for under $50 as can a blood glucose meter, blood pressure meter, and other health tools. They offer incredibly valuable health monitoring data to record. Seeing that health data next to diet, calories, exercise data in charts etc. is very revealing. Sure one can track every thing seperately but MFP is so close to doing it all ... As for doctors helping I've yet to meet a doctor who gives a damn about anything they can't bill for hence they always obfuscate any sort of patient do it yourself medical study and understanding.
  • jpburcham
    jpburcham Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I track my Blood Pressure Daily with an Android App called "Blood Pressure Log - MyDiary" it also has fields for Oxygen saturation and Blood Glucose and Weight. Big Plus ~ it exports to Excel . . . . You might check it out.
  • EvanKeel
    Options
    rg1949 wrote: »
    Spreadsheets are an entirely different animal from database applications like MFP.

Well gosh, you're right. You can actually do way, way more analysis when you control the data in a spreadsheet compared to MFP's limitations.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    One day I'll figure out editing...It tracks most of those things, not all of them (I track BP, pulse, ox, weight, sleep, HR and activity)
  • EvanKeel
    Options
    Health monitoring devices are very available, inexpensive, and excellent. For example a fingertip pulse oximeter can be had for under $50 as can a blood glucose meter, blood pressure meter, and other health tools. They offer incredibly valuable health monitoring data to record. Seeing that health data next to diet, calories, exercise data in charts etc. is very revealing. Sure one can track every thing seperately but MFP is so close to doing it all ... As for doctors helping I've yet to meet a doctor who gives a damn about anything they can't bill for hence they always obfuscate any sort of patient do it yourself medical study and understanding.

You'll note that what you'd want is some sort of api that sends the data from the health monitoring device to MFP to be at all more convenient than just simply tracking it yourself.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

As someone who works in the medical field, let me tell you that those $50 pulse oximeters aren't particularly accurate, and unless you have a cardiac and/or respiratory problem, aren't going to give you any useful data.

• rg1949
    Options
    The beauty of MFP web based database application approach is the integration with data collection. I cannot build a spreadsheet that will do the look ups of nutritional data for my entries for me as MFP (and its ilk) do so well. I do experimental data analysis for a living using spreadsheets and it's a demanding job. I am hoping MFP will simply integrate some additional tracking items into their great system here... but so far they don't seem willing to do so.
  • EvanKeel
    Options
    The beauty of MFP web based database application approach is the integration with data collection. I cannot build a spreadsheet that will do the look ups of nutritional data for my entries for me as MFP (and its ilk) do so well. I do experimental data analysis for a living using spreadsheets and it's a demanding job. I am hoping MFP will simply integrate some additional tracking items into their great system here... but so far they don't seem willing to do so.

So it's not that you want an app *like* MFP, you specifically want whatever device it is you're using to have integration with MFP in the same way that a fitbit might; the only difference being the type of data it tracks.

I think you're significantly overselling the usefulness of what MFP does with the data once the users enter it. The convenience of MFP mostly has to due with a combination of scanning and a robust database...neither of which is really relevant for this issue.
  • rg1949
    Options
    OK someone tipped me off on how to do much of what I want to do... add those items into the "checkin" category! Looks like that will help a lot... Seems MFP has the feature it just isn't explained or shown by example. duh...
  • DeguelloTex
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Pretty sure you could use Excel to scrape data nutritional data from USDA and elsewhere. Or some other app to dump the data into a CSV or other delimited file that could be read into Excel. For that matter, the raw data might be available.

Like I said, your requirements seem pretty specific and seem particularly unlikely to bolted on to something like MFP.

• rg1949
    Options
    Yeah no argument from me about being able to write program code to do this oneself only it's a big job... Since I see now one can add all the tracking items one wants to "CheckIn" here on MFP that will suffice for a start. It would be nice if MFP integrated dietary vitamins and minerals with supplement intake. An interface like the food and exercise diary here that inludes time frames would be nice for pharma-nutri ceutical consumption.