Hello wall. I was wondering when I would hit you.

Options
Okay, so maybe I haven't really hit a wall, but definitely a speed bump. My weight loss has slowed down in the past few weeks to where I just lost one pound in the past week. I'm thrilled with my loss so far, but now I have to figure out how to keep up the momentum. I've already felt myself getting discouraged and I am telling myself the same thing that I've told other people, but it is definitely causing me to be down a little. I knew there would come a point where this would happen, but I guess I wasn't really prepared with a plan. Should I not worry about it after just a few weeks and give it more time or should I start changing things up now? I'm just trying to squash this discouragement from building to the "I don't give a crap" stage.

Replies

• jeepzilla
    jeepzilla Posts: 201
    Options
    Well im not at the i dont give a crap stage but i too have held the same weight for a month I did just change my calorie intake and eating style sunday so well see what will happen... hang in there and don't STOP!!!!
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I totally feel you. I would say, change things up a bit. Maybe if you are consistent on your MFP calorie goal, eat a bit more one day every three days or so or changing up your workout routine.

Stay encouraged though...one pound a week is great!
  • bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    When I'd hit a small plateau I increased my calories for the weekend (or you could try just one day) and that usually helped. Good luck and stick with it.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Being down 30 lbs have you allowed MFP to recalculate your goals, they do change about every 10lbs. I'd allow a recalculation if you haven't already and then go back in and recustomize your goals, as your carbs/protein/fat will be back to default settings, sodium will be back to 2500mg as a goal fiber back to 25grams.... maybe check your settings before hand so you can change the important ones to you back!

Change it up, a pound is still a loss and is progress, you're only a month (maybe almost 2) into tracking here on MFP to be 30 lbs down in that time is... a lot? I'm down 30 something pounds and I'm in my 5th month on here.
  • Mandie1117
    Mandie1117 Posts: 15
    Options
    You need to switch up your routine. If you work out at night, try to work out in the morning. If you do upper body then lower body, switch it up. You need to confuse the muscles so they actually work. Your body gets used to the exercise and that is when you hit the plateau. BUT if you switch things up every month or so, you'll keep the momentum going. Try it out. :)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    You've lost 30 pounds so far and that's awesome! Keep in mind that the more you lose, the slower you are going to lose the rest. Most of lose the first few pounds quickly and then it becomes a slow and steady race to the finish. One to two pounds per week is normal weight loss and really what you should be aiming for from this point forward. It sounds like to me like you are right on track.

If you want to shake things up a little, change your exercise routine. Instead of running, try aerobics, or biking. Add more weight lifting into your routine, etc. You get the idea. Your body will get used to a routine over time so changing things up will help. A friend of mine was using the stair stepper every day and hit a plateau. He started the Couch to 5K plan and has been losing steadily again.

Good luck!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I think it might be time for you to switch things up some. Our bodies get used to our routines. In order to confuse it, try zig zagging calories and/or try some new stuff when you're working out. I go to the gym, but I also try and do Tae Bo because it is so very different from what I'm doing at the gym that it confuses my body.

Don't give up. You can move through this with just a little adjustment and work on your part. :)
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I have weeks I gain and weeks I don't lose...but n the end I always go down..make sure ur drinking half ur body weight n ounces of water a day, make sure ur salt inst too high, make sure ur eating enough (minimum 1200 NET calories a day)...also, id try zig zagging calories, set mfp to maintain weight one day, eat all those calories, set to loose 2lbs the next, set to loose. 5pounds the next, and 1.5lbs the next, and 1pound after that..just to throw ur body for a loop and then see how ur doing...
  • troythegeek
    troythegeek Posts: 47
    Options
    Being down 30 lbs have you allowed MFP to recalculate your goals, they do change about every 10lbs. I'd allow a recalculation if you haven't already and then go back in and recustomize your goals, as your carbs/protein/fat will be back to default settings, sodium will be back to 2500mg as a goal fiber back to 25grams.... maybe check your settings before hand so you can change the important ones to you back!

Change it up, a pound is still a loss and is progress, you're only a month (maybe almost 2) into tracking here on MFP to be 30 lbs down in that time is... a lot? I'm down 30 something pounds and I'm in my 5th month on here.

I have been recalculating and just did that again today since I hit a 30 pound weight loss and it dropped off 30 calories from my daily goal. I have been tracking here just shy of two months, but it has been about 10-11 weeks since I started. My goal was just two pounds a week so I can't complain at all, just concerned about where to go from here.