Milk

Options
I've recently started a new way of eating and have been having fruit smoothies for breakfast n dinner and a larger high protein lunch with vegetables. Therefore i've found myself drinking alot more milk than before. I dont know much about milk types and whats a good amount to be consuming. Does anyone have any information about the differences in almond or soy milks too. Would you recommend me drinking almond milk in my smoothies instead? I know its very popular at the moment...

About me: I am not overweight and am only looking to drop a few pounds. I am aiming towards a diet higher in proteins n fats and with less sugar (not counting fruits). I take inspiration from the sugar free and paleo diets but do not want to join them strictly. I simply want to cut out processed foods, white breads/pasta and sweets etc.

Any advice welcome :-)
Emma

Replies

• ashleypetrie4
    ashleypetrie4 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I use almond milk for just about everything (cooking, baking, smoothies, cereal, etc.) because I'm lactose intolerant and I enjoy the taste. Soy and rice milk are also good, I use a splash of soy in my coffee. Almond milk isn't as high in protein as milk or some other milk alternatives, but that's about as much as I know about similarities/differences between them. The best thing you can do is try different types, either buying them at the store or if you have a place near you that makes smoothies, see if they have milk alternatives and give that a try!
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I don't use milk in my smoothies because I think (any) milk is gross :p I use vanilla or plain yogurt, ice and then whatever veggies and fruits I'm adding, along with ground flax seed.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Cow's milk has a lot more sugar (lactose) than soy or almond milk, but soy and almond milk (even the unsweetened ones) have a lot more calories than cow's milk (nonfat cow's milk). So, take your pick, more calories or more sugar. All three of these have very different tastes, so you may have a preference there, too. As far as how much you should be consuming, whatever fits into your calories allowance.
  • ashleypetrie4
    ashleypetrie4 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    Cow's milk has a lot more sugar (lactose) than soy or almond milk, but soy and almond milk (even the unsweetened ones) have a lot more calories than cow's milk (nonfat cow's milk). So, take your pick, more calories or more sugar. All three of these have very different tastes, so you may have a preference there, too. As far as how much you should be consuming, whatever fits into your calories allowance.

Actually, unsweetened soy milk has 80 calories/cup and unsweetened almond milk has 30 calories/cup.. skim cow's milk has around 85 calories/cup.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    If you want more protein and fat, then whole dairy milk is definitely the way to go. It's better than almond or soy for both things. I wouldn't worry about the sugar unless you are adding more to your smoothies besides what's in the milk.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Do you plan to drink two meals a day for the rest of your life?
  • elcollins24
    elcollins24 Posts: 42 Member
    Options

No, i'm only really doing it at the moment because i've just got a nutri bullet which i am loving using!! The smoothies are quick n easy and i'm enjoying them. I'm not doing it in a restricitive way. I'm finding this really easy to stick to and is filling me up so i havent wanted chewing meals. When i get bored of smoothies of course i'll have non liquid meals :-)

With my new job i dont get my dinner til fairly late so ive found that a liquid dinner is nice and light and doesnt sit on my stomach and make me uncomfortable for the night :-)

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

No, i'm only really doing it at the moment because i've just got a nutri bullet which i am loving using!! The smoothies are quick n easy and i'm enjoying them. I'm not doing it in a restricitive way. I'm finding this really easy to stick to and is filling me up so i havent wanted chewing meals. When i get bored of smoothies of course i'll have non liquid meals :-)

With my new job i dont get my dinner til fairly late so ive found that a liquid dinner is nice and light and doesnt sit on my stomach and make me uncomfortable for the night :-)

I'm just popping in because I saw that you posted in another thread that you had some eating issues before. You're now trying to lose a few pounds drinking a couple of shakes a day and eating one meal a day?
    Honestly, you'll do better finding a healthy relationship with food, eating regular meals. Set a good, healthy calorie goal and eat foods you enjoy every day. I think you need to get back to chewing your food.
  • elcollins24
    elcollins24 Posts: 42 Member
    Options

[/quote]

I'm just popping in because I saw that you posted in another thread that you had some eating issues before. You're now trying to lose a few pounds drinking a couple of shakes a day and eating one meal a day?
    Honestly, you'll do better finding a healthy relationship with food, eating regular meals. Set a good, healthy calorie goal and eat foods you enjoy every day. I think you need to get back to chewing your food.[/quote]

Youre probably right. I just seem to bounce from undereating to overeating and its really hard finding a healthy inbetween. This time around at least i'm not obsessing over numbers...but i do agree that i need more variety in my meals. Thanks for the words of wisdom! :-)