Whole 30: June 15-July 15

Options
Starting the Whole 30 today and would love some friends for this month long challenge!

Feel free to add me if you want to start today, if you're currently in the middle of it, you've done it before, or thinking about doing it!

If we get enough people, I can start a group for daily motivation, recipe swappping, meal planning, and whatever else.

Hope to be hearing from you soon! :)

Replies

• dmfaler
    dmfaler Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I just started whole 30 yesterday and would love some support also. I have done a similar program called the fast metabolism diet it really work for me. This one seems a bit simpler Love it if you would start a group
  • vocallycool
    vocallycool Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with the program. What does it entail?
  • thefifthvalue
    thefifthvalue Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Woohoo @dmfaler ! Glad you'll be along for the ride with me :)

@vocallycool The Whole 30 is all about eating whole, clean, non-processed foods. No flour, dairy, legumes, alcohol, or added sugar is allowed. It's meant to be done for 30 days as a kick start into eating foods that work with your body instead of against. Here's the website if you want to take a look! http://whole30.com/

So today was my first day, and definitely need to be better at meal prep/planning. Did not eat enough, mostly because I wasn't prepared. For breakfast I had a hard boiled egg and nectarine, lunch I went to the salad bar and got a salad with spinach, chicken, radishes, beets, oil, and vinegar. I had some strawberries for a snack and then dinner was roasted spaghetti squash and a meaty tomato sauce on top. I'm going to need to eat more for breakfast to help me throughout the day. Lunch can also be bigger than what I did today too. Feeling a little hungry right now but don't want to eat anything since I'll be going to bed somewhat soon.

@dmfaler What did you eat today? Any good recipes?
  • babydoll1582
    babydoll1582 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I did this once before and loved it!!!!
  • dmfaler
    Options
    Great job on your first day! Try adding some raw nuts, nut butte, sweet potatoes or avocado to help you feel more full.

I had a breakfast skillet with a poached egg on top. The skillet had sweet potatoes peppers onions and spinach sautéed in coconut oil. It was awesome! Lunch was a salad with grilled chicken, veggies and balsamic. Also had some blueberries. Dinner was a Panera chicken Cobb salad minus the cheese. Snacks were raw veggies clues and peppers . I need to find a good dip to make ... I miss my hummus Had a terrible headache most of the day from caffeine and sugar withdrawal. Been down this road before so I knew it was coming. LOL
  • LaurieElla
    LaurieElla Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm in too!!! Just started a few days ago!! Add me!!
  • dmfaler
    Options
    By the way, the Fast Metabolism Diet is similar and there are lots of good recipes at hayliepomroy.com. Just ignore the phases (and eliminate beans). If you are on Instagram, the account whole30recipes has some great recipes.
  • dmfaler
    Options
    Yay @EliMaks! Welcome!
  • thefifthvalue
    Options
    Yay @EliMaks!

So today is pretty much a repeat of yesterday. Eating leftover spaghetti squash and meat sauce for lunch and dinner, two hard boiled eggs and nectarine for breakfast, and strawberries, cashews, and cherries as snacks/supplements to lunch and dinner.

Going to a movie tonight, but tomorrow night I'm really going to sit down and meal plan/prep. Tomorrow's food is kind of up in the air and I don't like that feeling.

I'm glad you mentioned Panera though! I was having a hard time thinking of fast food places I could eat other than burrito bowls at Chipotle. Anyone have good ideas for meals on the go?

Tomorrow I'll create a group for us to use instead of this thread. I'll post a link here and also direct message @EliMaks and @dmfaler. If anyone else would like to join, just let me know! :)
  • sadiebrawl
    sadiebrawl Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I'll add. Plan on starting this 7/1 with my husband.
  • dmfaler
    Options
    Welcome @sadiebrawl.

My meals were also the same today as yesterday. I usually prep on Sunday's. Make lemon chicken breast and turkey taco meat and freeze in individual portions.

Chicken breast marinade is just olive oil, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, garlic, salt and other seasonings.

I make my own taco seasoning that I found on Pinterest. Just make a lot and store it to use as needed.
  • dmfaler
    Options
    How do you cook the spaghetti squash? Do you make your own marinara? I've never tried it
  • thefifthvalue
    Options
    It's super easy. Cut the squash length-wise. Drizzle with some olive oil. Put flesh side down onto a baking pan. Bake at 425 degrees for an hour. Let cool and then with a fork, scrape out the flesh of the squash! And yes, made my own meat sauce according the the Whole 30 book. Can of crushed tomatoes, an onion, one carrot, two celery stalks, italian seasonings, two cloves of garlic. Start by sauteeing the onion, carrot and celery together. Add garlic for a minute, then add the rest of the ingredients. Simmer for an hour, stirring every 20 minutes. Then I browned some ground beef and added that in at the end. Delicious!

Breakfast was a nectarine and cashews, lunch- spaghetti squash and meat sauce leftovers, then dinner I made some chicken, fresh guac, roasted sweet potatoes, and spinach chips! The spinach chips were kind of a fail though, but I plan on experimenting more with them in the future :)

On another note- I started a group so it is a little easier to find for us. I invited most of you, but in case I forgot someone, here is the link: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/106885-whole-30-june-july

I'll be posting in there from now on, so hope to see you guys over there!
  • Loribike
    Loribike Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I started on June 15 as well. How is it going for you?
  • jenniferp04
    jenniferp04 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I started on June 22nd! I'm only 2 days in, but I feel great. Very clear minded.
  • dmfaler
    Options
    Glad to hear everyone is doing good! Back to day 1 for me :)
  • Shreshy
    Shreshy Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Omw I did this last year with my best friend! I think I only made it to day 21 lol but it was quite refreshing! Wouldn't mind attempting it again :)
  • Shreshy
    Shreshy Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Can I please have the link for whole30?
  • smaller_mel
    smaller_mel Posts: 10 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    How did everyone do? I'm planning to start on the 26th .I have a couple events coming up that I want to get through first. I want time to plan too. I'll be doing this with my husband. He has diabetes and eczema, I am hypothyroid, have PCOS and also have some eczema going. I hear that a lot of those conditions can be helped with going on the Whole 30 and I'm excited to see what happens. Our biggest hurdle will be not eating out. There is so much secret sugar and gluten in things. My co-worker who has done it informed me that there is sugar in the chicken at chipotle, can you believe that?! Why in the world do they need to add sugar!! Hope you all did great!